99-07 Swingarm Mod Question

MLSDUKE1

Live from Mom's basement
Registered
Was told by a member of the org that the top brace on the OEM swingarm can be removed without repercussion.

Is this true?

Curious to know why you would want to? Are you trying to drop a few pounds or something?

That's my plan, just want to make sure it isn't a critical brace

I think an 03 gixxer6 arm will bolt right up, no bracing on those. A local guy runs one on his big bore bike and the track. I have no idea about strength other then his hasnt broke. Just an option that would be easier than welding ect. Look into it:thumbsup:

I just got a 2004 that had this exact thing done to it. It's polished out and has had an under brace added. Looks solid enough. Looks nice but it lost the chain guard mounts, so I'm going to have to fab something.

The more weight I shed from this project the better

Curious to know why you would want to? Are you trying to drop a few pounds or something?

Can you get some up close and personal pics of the brace so I can show my welder?

I just got a 2004 that had this exact thing done to it. It's polished out and has had an under brace added. Looks solid enough. Looks nice but it lost the chain guard mounts, so I'm going to have to fab something.

You know you can buy an aftermarket swing arm from a company like Evil Swingarms. They make a 0-4" swingarm that weighs next to nothing and it doesnt cost thousands of dollars. Its probably alot sturdier and looks better than a hacked up OEM swingarm

And you couldn't have mentioned this a week ago?

You know you can buy an aftermarket swing arm from a company like Evil Swingarms. They make a 0-4" swingarm that weighs next to nothing and it doesnt cost thousands of dollars. Its probably alot sturdier and looks better than a hacked up OEM swingarm

I asked you last week why you wanted to hack up your swing arm. You then responded back 10 days later.......... Sorry, but if you would have answered back sooner I could have pointed you in the right direction. I wasnt sure why you were doing so thats why I asked. Like I mentioned you can get an Evil 0-4" swingarm for like $700 brand new with all the trimmings and it weighs significantly less than an oem. Cant remember what they told me exactly but I think its like a 6 or 8lb difference

Mine has been hacked off, welded and then added underbracing. It weighs slightly more than stock by about 2lbs.

Here are a few pics. Spencercycles have been doing this work for years btw.

IMG_20130124_221844.jpg

IMG_20130124_221852.jpg

IMG_20130124_221903.jpg

IMG_20130124_221919.jpg

IMG_20130124_221926.jpg

Thank you Busashot! Mine should be done today so I'm gonna print these and take them to him to see what needs to be done!

Swingarm is done. Picking it up today, hopefully. I'll put up pics on "My Busa Overhaul" tonight!

Back