93 Zx7 Rear Shock

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Friend got a 93 zx7 last night(750 ninja).
A little rough, and we have alot to fix.
The rear shock is dead. As in pogo stick, and you can hear the air when you bounce the seat.
I've read that a ZX12 rear is a direct bolt in, only with better valving. Even a good ebay/craigslist ZX12 shock will likely need rebuilt from age and mileage.
My question is; can anyone recommend where to buy a quality rebuild kit for either the 7 or 12? Or somewhere that would rebuild either reasonable?
He's not gonna put an aftermarket shock on either, as it's simply not worth it on this old bike, cost wise.
We'll do fork rebuilds, return to stock heigth, and set sag. This is the first street bike he has owned. It's old and cheap(needs some tlc and engine work too), but it's still a great bike.
I had a 94 years ago. Nothing like the fuel injected 1ks with great suspension of today, but an awesome machine in it's day.
Thanks for any help.

20161229_222552.jpg

20161229_222600.jpg

I don't know what the cost would be but Traxxion Dynamics rebuilt the rear shock on my son's SV1k. I don't remember what they charged him but it was substantially less than an aftermarket shock.

I don't know what the cost would be but Traxxion Dynamics rebuilt the rear shock on my son's SV1k. I don't remember what they charged him but it was substantially less than an aftermarket shock.

Thank you sir
I'll check them out

A straight shock from a 12R will be setup for the 12 which is a lot heavier that the 7. You might find the spring way too stiff. I know 12R shocks are good for 45k+ miles (My mates still on the original) so just try one on before splashing the cash on a rebuild.

A straight shock from a 12R will be setup for the 12 which is a lot heavier that the 7. You might find the spring way too stiff. I know 12R shocks are good for 45k+ miles (My mates still on the original) so just try one on before splashing the cash on a rebuild.
Good to hear the zx12 shock has lasted so long.
As far as weight difference, I don't know.
These old 750s are Heavy! lol
Thanks

not sure were my post went lol pics of some of what we talked about
never mind I see I sent via conversation , boy its been a long day
20160911_155703_zpsfa3argnj.jpg

20160911_171743_zpsgehki1e4.jpg

20160916_061340_zpssvyrjeto.jpg

OMG This makes me miss my old 7. I loved loved loved the round head lights! Wheelie machine too. I do not have advice on the shock other than to say they always plan on 175 lb ave riders. I would go with the beefier 12 shock if it will fit.

Back