87 octane sucks

mikeyusf

Registered
whoever said it was ok to run 87 octane in the busa is smoking crack. I just put Amoco 87 Octane into my bike for the first time, and this thing is pingin and knockin like crazy. Sounds like a can of rocks under the gas tank.

93 octane from this point forward, wtf was I thinking

Mike

I say you line up whoever told you to put 87 in and have a dessert crab check them for a hernia.
sneaky.gif

BTW- ADD SOME OCTANE BOOSTER QICK!!!!!!!!

it works for majority of stock Busa owners.
I ran it with pipe and bigbox mod.
pinged after the 1397 kit went in had to run 93 but back to 87 with the boost bike
try another station wasting money is not a good thing

hmmmm.... it's in the owners manual. I run nuttin but 87 and it's perfectly fine. mine has a nice growl on accelleration but no pingerism

I've been running 87 octane since it was brand-new and never had a problem. Runs like a scalded dog.

I'm not saying the bike doesnt run well, the bike runs fine. It's the horrific noise coming from it at high RPMS.

I was driving it around and could hear the rattling through my helmet. I pulled over, put the helmet on the side of the bike, and drove without a helmet to get a better feel for what the bike was doing

yuck, it was definitely engine knock.

rode it gently for about 50 miles to drain the fuel, filled it up with 93 octane and the sound started going away.

The bike will run fine, but trust me, you're engine is crying inside

Mike

is the bike stock or does it have a TRE on it?
it might not be engine ping it could be something else like camchain noise.
You could have one of those one in a thousand fluke bike that just run better with it
kickass.gif
But don't discount something wrong with motor

Considering it only holds 5.5 Gal. I only use 93 Octain. It may cost a little more but I like knowing that the gas is cleaner. Besides I live in GA and we have some of the lowest gas prices in the country.

Pimpbike

Considering it only holds 5.5 Gal. I only use 93 Octain. It may cost a little more but I like knowing that the gas is cleaner. Besides I live in GA and we have some of the lowest gas prices in the country.

Pimpbike
93 might not be better for it. At the track I ran slower and made less ponies on the Dyno with 93 VS. 87.
But then again it is only $$$$$$$$

Don't discount that you may have some contaminated fuel. I have also seen uncontaminated (good) fuel from the pump with a VERY low specific gravity. Translated, the fuel could not do it's job. There are no major reasons why a 'Busa should need anything above 90 octane, BUT, if it does, you want to use the lowest octane needed to eliminate pinging or detonation. Just my two cents....

Hmmmm I wonder about consistency. I typically run 93 but after reading some of the gas reviews i loaded up with 87. Bought it home and changed the oil and plugs. Fire it up and here the tick tick tick ping ping ping. And I wonder if the one of the plugs is misfiring....now I'm thinking it may be the gas.

Is it possible that whatever you start using 93 or 87 your engine,ECM, fuel system adapts to it and any change causes a burn problem/ECM problem/Fuel Injection problem/
rock.gif

I know with cars whatever you have in it when you tune it, is what it runs best with.

Pimpbike
Damn 5.5 gallons? Did I get ripped off. My 02 only holds 4.8 gallons

I say you line up whoever told you to put 87 in and have a dessert crab check them for a hernia.
sneaky.gif

BTW- ADD SOME OCTANE BOOSTER QICK!!!!!!!!
I would be one that you line up and shoot. A stock bike will run more then fine on 87 octane, i have done it for a long time and with mods. However like I pointed out before you need to make sure how the gas is in your area. Both Octane (true) and how much the gas is oxygenated. Higher Octane does not add performance, it helps the bike use all of the gas. Octane burns slower.

You did the right thing anyway if 87 does not work for your bike and you get knock change. Don't think you need to go to 93 though but if it works what is a few cents.

I appreciate everyone's help. But here is the bottom line. I dont know about specific gravity, humidity, and all that other stuff. If I have to consider all that in order to save 80 cents per fill, screw it I'm at 93

I've run my bike for over 10,000 miles with 93 octane and it purs like a kitten. I run my bike HARD, I beat the crying sh*t out it, I launch hard, I redline it constantly, I brake hard, I ride this bike how it's supposed to be run.

This is my second tank of 87 octane. The first tank ran fine, but then again it was probably half 93, half 87. I filled it up again with 87 octane, and this is when the problem started.

I was riding, i could hear the engine pinging and knocking under the gas tank. Sounded like I was dragging a soda can behind the bike. The problem showed up only under hard acceleration and high RPMS, once I hit about 50% throttle or went above 6000rpms, the sound was VERY noticible

I filled it back up with 93 octane, and it runs perfect, no noise, no pinging or knocking, just smooth quiet power.

I'm not trying to start a whole 87 vs 93 octane debate with petroleum engineers. I'm just simply saying in my bone stock, 2002 Black hayabusa, 87 octane made the bike run like sh*t run over twice

I'll never put 87 octane in my bike again, 93 from this point forward

Mike

mike it is very possible that you need to run some Redline injector cleaner.
with 10k on the clock it is very possible you have carbon build up putting 93 in is only a bandaid that could be hiding a more serious problem.
Try two tanks with the Redline in and then go back to 87.
Remember most times you cannot hear a Busa Detonate that takes out rods bigtime, putting 93 in you may not hear it but it still might be happening carbon suxs
idea.gif

I think I'll pay the extra $2.00 per tank and stick with Chevron
We have a V10 Dodge here that pings like an SOB on 87.
I've built a ton of high performance cars and trucks and my finding is that they ping like crazy on 87 octane.....and not at all on 94.......so you think I'll put it in a bike that makes 120 hp+ per liter......not a chance ping or no ping.
Just a matter of personal preference.

my $0.02.............

my 02 bus , can not notice diff between 87 and 92 octane.

talked with many a motor builder, car and bike... census says:
more octane will be slower, less octane will allow engine to reach higher rpms faster.

Lesson, run what works for yer motor. if the gas in your area is crap, buy better.

question: my racing partner says Suzuki designed the bus motor to be run on premium. The owners manual says 87. whos full of poop? nobody will ever know, I guess...............

maybe try a medium octane gas ppl! 89? think I will try that at the track saturday.

Mike, glad u fixed (or covered up according to johnny) your problem.

Back