8 + stretch

Noodle

Registered
I need some advice. I want to add a 8+ stretched swing arm. No blocks. Just to get the back tire out a few inches. I know I have to change the chain and get longer brake lines. My question is should I step up the rear sprocket and drop the front? I’ve done a stretch before but I’m more than Capable of making it happen. Feel free to share your knowledge and suggestions on parts. Thanks In advance

It depends on what you are trying to do. If it is just for looks, then you don't need a bigger rear/smaller front. If you want to take advantage of the extra length for acceleration (like drag racing) then you may want to re-gear, depending on what you are at now.

I mean it is for looks but I also want to take advantage of the stretch. I just don’t know what gearing I should do.

unless you are plannig on racing it here is no advantage small in the front and larger in the rear decrease max speed

After I stretched I played around with 16/43 16/45, 17/43 18/43 turboed 19/43 and now I’m sitting at 17/43. Like said above, if you stretch and just want some more low end grunt, 16/43 will top the bike out at 170 I think? Gearingcommander.com that stretch and a 18/44 or even 17/42 would help acceleration nicely.

For gearing you need ro decide what your going to be doing. Drag gearing isn't easy on the freeway rides. Many things going into gearing your bike like Weight, hp, length of bike, etc. If you have a stock cowl I wouldn't go more then 6 inches. So you don't have to worry about wrecking your tail light if you lower the bike and pop and wheelie. I think 6 is the max you want think go on a gen 2. Could be wrong.

If you plan on drag racing, you're going to want to lower the bike. At 8" over you'll need at least a plus 6" tail. This is 2.5" over (61") with a stock tail.

Screenshot_20181003-195040_Gallery.jpg

this is/was 8 over with a stock tail... its also lowered.... I smashed the tail-light and it rubbed badly when riding a passenger.... u really need a tail... like the guys said .. (probably also a stronger spring at a minimum)… if u want this look... these things have to be done... as far as the swingarm... its a trac dynamics swingarm that included all bearings and brake bar... from time to time they are 500 bucks on ebay… happy hunting... right now there is a 6 over trac arm for 495 … this is the best deal going..
1538626221698.png

Last edited:
Don’t need a longer tell I was sitting 8” stock tell 17/46 sprocket and stock spring weighing 250 with roaring toyz lowering links

E48EE21E-7339-4E5C-9B8C-14BD99B13D47.jpeg

Don’t need a longer tell I was sitting 8” stock tell 17/46 sprocket and stock spring weighing 250 with roaring toyz lowering links

View attachment 1585997
well... ure the first in the whole world then... I was over 200 lbs.... u sure that 8 over? mine rubbed so bad that the underside was almost gone and the taillight was Smashed from contact with tire....

You can do whatever you want if you crank down on the spring and stick the ass end up in the air but if you want to get to the 330' clicks quickly and consistently, you need to slam the bike to the ground. That's the difference between 10.0's and 9 teens. Every inch counts. My bike shown above is setup at street height. She goes down another 1-1.5 inches (depending on track conditions) when she comes out of the trailer.

You can do whatever you want if you crank down on the spring and stick the ass end up in the air but if you want to get to the 330' clicks quickly and consistently, you need to slam the bike to the ground. That's the difference between 10.0's and 9 teens. Every inch counts. My bike shown above is setup at street height. She goes down another 1-1.5 inches (depending on track conditions) when she comes out of the trailer.
even with my ass end up in the air.. it still rubbed under a lot of throttle, and 2-up FORGET it.... look at my tail section.

well... ure the first in the whole world then... I was over 200 lbs.... u sure that 8 over? mine rubbed so bad that the underside was almost gone and the taillight was Smashed from contact with tire....
I can promise that my friend...Thomson cycle swingarm that was 8-10” over set at 8” stock spring and stock shock with roarying toyz lowering links...I adjusted it prolly 10times before I got it to where I wanted it but never had a issue with rubbing.

AB883E42-291A-4EFB-8956-DB35117A81F3.jpeg

CBCA8F15-219C-4C51-B0A1-B80F664A933C.jpeg

Got you. So adding 8 inches, will it decrease anything?
Get a shock made for a longer arm. The stock shock can only be adjusted so much to deal with the added leverage of the longer arm which helps control wheelies; but when lowered the shock can't deal with being longer and flat; well at least if pushed hard. It's a trade off like most things. Basically it takes more imput (throtlle) for the front end to come up but when it does it is nothing, nothing, add more gass and then all at once up in the air at 10 o'clock but not at a proportional rate which is why there are so many tail over end videos. With a normal set up you no what to expect and can respond accordingly but with a stock shock and these two changes the shock is out classed baddly. Spend the extra $ just imagine if the front came up 3 times faster than ever before and without warning. I made this mistake for the perfect lowered look which looked great but was not for me on the street.

Back