6th gear shift issue

Scotv66

Registered
Has anyone experienced a 6th gear shift issue - every time I ride, once that day the tranny will miss 6th and hit a false neutral - a little metal clash - back on the clutch & hammer up on the shifter and it is fine - then I tend to go 5th, 6th 5th 6th 5th 6th for a mile or so and no problem with those shifts or others through out the day - but it happens more than just on occasion - who thinks warranty work should be done and done soon? or is it a symptom of the busa tranny that I need to attend to myself w/some help from the forum?? Any thoughts?

there is supposedly a false nuetral between 5 and 6th....many find it.:beerchug:

Last rumor I read was that it was due to possibly a weak spring in the tranny due to engine heat. Might require pulling the engine to fix it. This rumor, and it is a rumor at this point, was what caused me to finally decide on the extended warranty. 3K on my BK, and no sign of a problem yet.

I think Gixxers in general have this false neutral. I haven't felt it on the Busa (that I remember right off hand) but when I purchased the 1000 new it did this quite often. Once the gear sets in after some use it seems to stop and settle into 6th gear better.

Piece of advice...I don't care how embarrased you might get...pull over and slow down before jamming it back into gear~!~

Just like missing 2nd gear, don't jam it in or you WILL be doing some tranny work in the near future.

Damn Mr Bogus tell me what you really think - I have had this before on bikes - new bikes - the b-king has 1161 miles only - it could settle in but like outlawbusa said there can be no slamming into gear after a bad shift - I clutch & let teh rpm drop all the way down let the tranny slow down and shift. never a hard shift at that point - I was thinking that it was the synchronizers but if others are feeling it - a symptom of the bike. Sorry to any shop mechanics but you can look down the shop and find those guys that you wonder why anyone would let them turn a wrench - it happends - they always get the warranty work. if it gets worse I have till October on the warranty and that will be what it will be - if anyone sees for sure that the weak spring in the tranny rumor is true - please post or shoot me a message and work will begin - Thanks.

Quit pu$$y footin' it and shift it like a man.

You are not getting it all the way into 6th...while you are on the gas it will stay in 6th...but when you let off it a little, it will pop into a false neutral. Learn how to shift it before you screw up the trans...it's almost impossible to get them to warranty this kind of damage. Because it is caused by "operator" error.
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn Mr Bogus tell me what you really think - I have had this before on bikes - new bikes - the b-king has 1161 miles only - it could settle in but like outlawbusa said there can be no slamming into gear after a bad shift - I clutch & let teh rpm drop all the way down let the tranny slow down and shift. never a hard shift at that point - I was thinking that it was the synchronizers but if others are feeling it - a symptom of the bike. Sorry to any shop mechanics but you can look down the shop and find those guys that you wonder why anyone would let them turn a wrench - it happends - they always get the warranty work. if it gets worse I have till October on the warranty and that will be what it will be - if anyone sees for sure that the weak spring in the tranny rumor is true - please post or shoot me a message and work will begin - Thanks.
you would not want it sugar coated right? :laugh: hey get the Evo Star shift kit.. it will help you out..

Mine does EXACTLY the same thing. I noticed when I replaced the oil with Amsoil it got alot smoother and doesn't happen nearly as often.

I would be a little more careful shifting into 2nd, but 5th to 6th shift it like you mean it. If you go light it will eat you up.

Mine does it in 2nd and 6th. Bogus is correct, kick it in the ass, it'll love you for it. And use Amsoil or mobil1 oil.

Mine does it too. The solution is to let off the throttle and not use the clutch when shifting into 6th. Smooth as butter every time.

Mine did the same thing but now that i have 8000 miles on the OD the trany shifts much better. Good2Bking is right you can clutchless shift into about anygear alot smoother than with the clutch, takes some practice. Start throttling up, as you are about to reach your shift point put some tension on the shift lever, snap the throttle closed and it should shift with no clutch.:cheerleader:

Back