600 mile service

The Oracle

Registered
Hey all,

I just got my baby back from her 600 mile service and I noticed that they tightened the chain up. I was under the impression that it should have an inch or inch-and-a-quarter of play. Is this true? If so, do you think they are just expecting it to stretch even a little more?

Sorry for the chain question... I have ridden shaft all of my life. This is a change for me.

yup yer about right . inch of play . measured half way between drive sprocket and counter-shaft sprocket , on the bottom run . with the bike sitting on its side stand . too tight a chain is as bad as too loose a chain .

I have ridden shaft all of my life.  This is a change for me.[/QUOTE]
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>DAMN!!! Vripley!!!</span></span>

I dont know what kind of board you think this is but I dunno if this is the right forum to discuss your lifetime of riding shaft
sarcasm.gif
!

Maybe we could create a new one just for those who used to ride shaft.  
laugh.gif

OH damn, I know I know, I crack myself up...But Whew...Funny.

Sorry All I couldn't resist...Sorry VR...IF it came back from its 600 MI service with NO play I would have some concerns, with just a little they may be assuming there will be more stretch, I would call em up and say WTF?  Or something like that, maybe WTH?  Post a follow up if you get a chance i would like to know if it was done intentionaly.

Post a follow up if you get a chance i would like to know if it was done intentionaly.
I personally am not a real big fan of...." Hey Burt,lets just tighten da frick outa dis dudes chain, it gonna stretch anyway." " O.K. Ernie , lets tight 'er up ,I'm wit choo" . BUT....thats just me .

The owners manual sez: .8 - 1.2 " so I set mine at 1" I got 24k miles out the original chain.

(whiney voice) And NO I didn't replaced the sprockets with the last chain...
tounge.gif

I dont know what kind of board you think this is but I dunno if this is the right forum to discuss your lifetime of riding shaft
sarcasm.gif
!
Now that was funny... I fell out of my chair laughing. Dang, I need to read my posts before posting.
11doh.gif

Anyway, I re-checked and it is about .75" so I am gonna let it ride a little bit (since OP mentioned the .8" measurement) before calling to yell about it.

Thanks for the answers y'all.

I've got about an inch on mine, and haven't had any major problems. I think thats pretty much the standard

Back