600 mile maintenance question

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
Hey follks,

I crossed 600 (closer to 1000 miles) and realize I need to get that oil changed.  For the first maintenance I was thinking of just taking it into the shop, any thoughts?  I have no problem wrenching on it myself but will need to get stands and the special tool.  I figured the first one might be good to get the dealership to do it?

Thanks for the opines,
Spike

No special tools used on mine. Just remove the right fairing. It is low to the ground and removing the drain plug is about the hardest part. I did not use , but may get, a filter wrench for future use.

Make sure you do not strip the plug going back in....it seems to happen alot around here.

Save you some $$

(BlueHaya @ Nov. 14 2006,17:37) No special tools used on mine. Just remove the right fairing. It is low to the ground and removing the drain plug is about the hardest part. I did not use , but may get, a filter wrench for future use.

Make sure you do not strip the plug going back in....it seems to happen alot around here.

Save you some $$
+1

You will only need the special tools for the recommended tightening of selected fasteners at 600 miles.

Changing the oil is a snap.

If you plan on doing your own oil changes, just go get the oil filter wrench now and you're set. 16.5 ft-lbs for the oil drain plug, any tighter and you'll strip it. Steel plug aluminum pan...

If you change the oil yourself, will that void the warrenty?
rock.gif

U wont void the warranty if U do it yourself as long U save the reciept. I confirmed this with numerous dealers.

Honestly, I know how to do basic mechanical work but Im plain lazy. I rode to the dealer to let them do the 600 miles service and he gave me a quote of $250. I told him let me talk to my wife outside (I lied, Im divorced). Got on the bike and never looked back. When Im ready, I'll just do it myself.

$250 for them to drop the oil AND maybe change the filter. Adjust chain AND maybe adjust idle and throttle. And then U pray the dont scratch the plastic body. In this case, I'll just do it myself...the right way.

(KROOZER @ Nov. 15 2006,11:46) U wont void the warranty if U do it yourself as long U save the reciept. I confirmed this with numerous dealers.

Honestly, I  know how to do basic mechanical work but Im plain lazy. I rode to the dealer to let them do the 600 miles service and he gave me a quote of $250. I told him let me talk to my wife outside (I lied, Im divorced). Got on the bike and never looked back. When Im ready, I'll just do it myself.

$250 for them to drop the oil AND maybe change the filter. Adjust chain AND maybe adjust idle and throttle. And then U pray the dont scratch the plastic body. In this case, I'll just do it myself...the right way.
Exactly!!
wink.gif

If you plan to keep using the suzuki brand filter, the suzuki filter wrench works great
biggrin.gif

Do it yourself. On the first service, you'll save yourself enough cash to pay the biggest protion of a set of pit bull stands.

Pick up a set of stands to make life easy, less than $250.
Oil filter, less than $10
Set of metric wrenches
4mm allen wrench

You are in business!

Back