600 Mile Break In Service ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
Reading the Manual, the only thing that they really do is Change the Oil and Filter. I can do that Myself and save a Lot of Money. Any Thoughts
rock.gif
?
beerchug.gif

Different schools of thought on this.. one concern is voiding the warranty if a dealer doesn't do the service... others say that you can do it yourself just save the reciepts. I would say take your own fairings off and have the dealer do the first one for documentation then do the rest yourself....

After reading all the numerous threads on this. I am with you " MC MUSTANG " Let them do the first service then....................

I've allowed the dealership to do all of my servicing. My next is the 11,000 mile service from which I'm about 700 miles away from. Seeing as how difficult it is to get them to honor their warranty on a normal basis, I didn't want to give them any reason not to.

To each his own though ...

Guess I'll go against the grain here and say I've never allowed the shop to do ANY of the routine maintenance on my Busa, including that first all oh-so-important 600 mile service...

My dealer told me that I could do it all myself, just keep good records and receipts...my school of thought is that it doesn't really matter how much I do RIGHT, most places will find some loophole for not fixing your bike under warranty. That doesn't mean others don't get good service, but I bought my Busa knowing I'd do the maintenance and never want to worry about fighting with a dealer for work under warranty...it has worked out well for me; no issues with my bike and no problems with me doing the service myself...

Comes down to whether or not you trust your dealer, and just how much do you want to get your hands dirty doing your own work. I find it very rewarding and I love not dealing with a dealership, especially the ones in my area...

Good luck in whatever you choose! It's up to you
cool.gif

I'm with VaBusa on this.  I just completed my first service and kept the receipts just in case.  The dealer also said that as long as I kept the receipts that I would be fine.  I never did my own service before because I though I would screw something up.  I took my bike to a dealer one time just to have them perform the normal high mileage service, like adjusting the valves, sync the carbs, etc.  When I got it back, I ran worse then before and to top it off, I had new scratches on the faring and the rear sprocket wasn't lined up with the chain, it came off on my ride home.  
rant.gif

Sorry, getting off topic there.

I would say, if you want to get to know your bike, perform the service yourself.  If you have any questions, post them here.  Everyone here from what I have seen is more then willing to help if you get stuck on something.

+1 for doing it yourself
My experiences with the service end of a dealership has been painfull... quite frankly, if you can't work on your own bike, buy something lower maintenance than a busa, or keep lots of extra money on hand. The fine print on the warantees pretty much excludes me as soon as I roll it off the showroom... Plus a lot of warantees have deductable...

Back