5th Gear problem

homermacleod

Registered
For the past week, I have noticed a slight vibration in the bike when in 5th gear.

While on the freeway today, I shifted into 5th and gave it a little throttle (a quick 1/4 turn) an the bike jumped out of gear (it bounced around like I missed a gear) and then went back into gear. I tried this several times and it jumped out of gear every time I gave it some gas in 5th.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

-Chris

Unusual to have this issue in 5th. Are you sure you are shifting into gear correctly? My 05 used to do it and my 09 will do it from time to time if I dont shift it with authority. If you just click into gear you will have this issue.

No reply!
Its not just a 5th gear problem, its a false 5 6 shift problem, or i call it the ghost problem.
It all has to do with the second, and sixth dog. If someone where to ride there bike in fifth to six gear as hard as the second second gear shift, everyone would be boitching about this, ots the same as second gear problem!

I knew about the false neutral, but his description sent me another direction.

Thanks for the replies.

Gave the bike a little throttle through all the gears and 5th is the only one giving me problems.

I'll probably get someone else to fix it and post the results here in a few weeks.

Finally got her back on the road ($2200) .

I sent the transmission to MT performance to get it race cut (Thanks GSXRHP). Also had to replace one of the shift forks and the shift drum.

Back