528t timed relay

Zoinks!

Registered
Am I correct in my thinking that this alternate way of wiring the DEI 528T would still give the same effect as the way described in the pinned thread?  If I'm correct the only difference is that I've grounded the ballast independantly, rather than having to cut the ground comming off the relay.  It also cuts down on the ammount of wires that have to be connected together.  Just curious if this would work or does the ballast absolutely HAVE to be grounded through the headlight circuit?

528twiring.jpg

"Bike", reffers to the headlight connector on the harness, and "bal." reffers to the ballast.

The only wires I cut were on the 528T.  The bike and ballast were all fit with spade connectors.  I don't know if it will work your way or not, but it's easy enough to try while your tinkering.  Like you said, the only difference is your sending the wire to ground instead of the way I did it.  I think you still have the same amount of wires.

I basically did the entire install between the bikes original connector and the headlight bulb.  I figured the (-) on the bike's OEM connector was grounded somewhere so whether you connect it there or somewhere on the frame that's grounded it should still work.  (I think)  I hate chasing down ground problems and electrical issues, so i stayed right there with the OEM connector, I know that works.

Good Luck.

I think think the difference between what you are asking and what I did is below:

Yours:

528twiring.jpg

Mine:

schematic.jpg

I think think the difference between what you are asking and what I did is below:

Yours:

528twiring.jpg

Mine:
That's the way it looks to me too. I'm gonna look at the schematic for the headlight circuit and see if that ground goes anywhere except the frame or battery. If not, I'll do it the way I have it and see what happens. If it goes back to some sensor or the ecm or something I'll probalby tie it back to the headlight circuit like you did. Either way, I'll post it up when I'm all done so everyone knows if it worked or not. Lol.

Thanks for the diagrams guys; HIDS are going on mine  fairly soon
No problem man. If you can wait till the relay gets here, (ordered it today off ebay) you'll have a full, high detail install write-up. I'm documenting everything I'm doin with pictures, so I can post here and let every one know what I did. I'll shoot you a PM after I post it up and let you know it's here. . . If I remember to. Lol. Either way it'll be on here within a week, most likely. Not sure how long it'll take to get the relay, but it shouldn't be too long. . . Hopefully.

I changed my mind again.  I think I'm gonna try it this way.  That way the only terminal that has to have more than one wire in it is the Batt + from the bike harness.  I've been lookin at some things that other ppl have used this relay for, and they don't have the trigger tied in with anything, so I'm gonna try that and see what happens.  If all else fails, I'll do it the original way described by thebbbusa.  I just like to try different things.  Not that his way is wrong or anything like that.  It obviously works.  It's more of a curiosity issue.  I wanna know if there are other ways to do it.  thebbbusa stated "there may be other ways to use this box, but this worked for me", so I figured I'd find out and let everyone know.

528twiring2.JPG

I don't remember how I did mine but that relay works like a champ. Have mine set to 15 seconds delay, had it for a year and no problems. Oh, I have an 02 model so it IS necessary to have something like this.
beerchug.gif

Looking forward to your HID installation photos. I have to get mine done before the Busa Bash

I changed my mind again.  I think I'm gonna try it this way.  That way the only terminal that has to have more than one wire in it is the Batt + from the bike harness.  I've been lookin at some things that other ppl have used this relay for, and they don't have the trigger tied in with anything, so I'm gonna try that and see what happens.  If all else fails, I'll do it the original way described by thebbbusa.  I just like to try different things.  Not that his way is wrong or anything like that.  It obviously works.  It's more of a curiosity issue.  I wanna know if there are other ways to do it.  thebbbusa stated "there may be other ways to use this box, but this worked for me", so I figured I'd find out and let everyone know.
thumb_up.gif

LOL still effectively the same thing.

thumb_up.gif

LOL  still effectively the same thing.
Yea, that's kinda what I'm figuring. Whether it goes through the bike's ground or goes to some other ground, it's still grounded, so I imagine you could do it any of the 3 ways shown in this thread. I e-mailed xenon king last night tellin em what I was doin and why I'm doin it, and asked about the relay just to double check with them and the reply I got said, "Kevin, what's a good number to reach you at?" Lol. I emailed em back with the number and the schematics on this page, but I haven't heard from em yet. I guess we'll see.

thumb_up.gif

Yea, that's kinda what I'm figuring.  Whether it goes through the bike's ground or goes to some other ground, it's still grounded, so I imagine you could do it any of the 3 ways shown in this thread.  I e-mailed xenon king last night tellin em what I was doin and why I'm doin it, and asked about the relay just to double check with them and the reply I got said, "Kevin, what's a good number to reach you at?"  Lol.  I emailed em back with the number and the schematics on this page, but I haven't heard from em yet.  I guess we'll see.
Cause they probabyly have no idea what you are talking about. Since the issue is pretty much specific to the bike. The main reason for the relay, as you already know, is to allow the rider to crank the bike and get it started before the ballast ignites, thereby reducing the stress on the equipment.

That's what I'm figuring. I think I'm just gonna give it a try and hope nothing gets fried. Lol. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok, though. I looked at the schematic in the busa service manual and don't see anything special about the ground circuit. There's one wire that runs from the headlight to the tail light and about 8 or so other circuits pull their ground from that one wire, so it's basically just a general ground. I think I'll be ok doin it any of the ways listed above. I'll probably go with the last one that I posted just to make everything, as I said, more "clean" and uniform.

thumb_up.gif

Yea, that's kinda what I'm figuring.  Whether it goes through the bike's ground or goes to some other ground, it's still grounded, so I imagine you could do it any of the 3 ways shown in this thread.  I e-mailed xenon king last night tellin em what I was doin and why I'm doin it, and asked about the relay just to double check with them and the reply I got said, "Kevin, what's a good number to reach you at?"  Lol.  I emailed em back with the number and the schematics on this page, but I haven't heard from em yet.  I guess we'll see.
Cause they probabyly have no idea what you are talking about.  Since the issue is pretty much specific to the bike.  The main reason for the relay, as you already know, is to allow the rider to crank the bike and get it started before the ballast ignites, thereby reducing the stress on the equipment.
Yep, that's exactly what it was. Check out this email I got from em.

"Kevin,

We have never dealt with the relay you are trying to use on our kit. We would love to help you with installation but we don't know how to handle this particular one."

It's ok though. I've already figured out what I'm gonna do.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that this:

post-46-91200-528twiring2.jpg

Did work. I'll get all the pics uploaded soon and post up the install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back