528T not delaying?

Registered
After I installed my HID kit, my 528T was delaying as it should. Now, when I start it, the light fires upon "key on." Adjusting the screw has no effect. What could be the deal? Would a loose wire even allow the HID to fire?

On a related note, my first ride with the light affected my speedo. I was doing 65 and the speedo read 50. On the way home, the speedo read as usual. Is there a shielding I need to install around the ballast and ignitor to protect the guage electronics?

The relay might have failed or there could be another problem. Not familiar with the 528T or it's wiring. If you have a Gen II I think you can hold the starter button in and turn the key on to prevent the low beam on / off issue, but do a search on that before trying it if you have a newer bike.

You can tape aluminum foil over the back of the gauges. That should block the RFI from affecting the dash. I might have some left over from making my hat. :whistle:

Did you wire the relay like this...
(stole the image from some one else on this site, it's not the neatest, but it works)
528twiring2.jpg

Oh, you are supposed to test the wiring prior to putting the bike back together to make sure you got it right, it usually saves some time in the long run...

Oh, you are supposed to test the wiring prior to putting the bike back together to make sure you got it right, it usually saves some time in the long run...

I did that many times before in order to set the delay correctly...just about ten seconds. Now, the light turns on right after the gauge sweep and no amount of adjustment from the screw changes that.

Sounds like the contacts may have gotten stuck or there is a short...

(I would give the relay a little tap to see if I could unstick them. I don't remember if you can see them throught the clear platic case.)

I believe the wiring diagram is not correct. The trigger input which is shown as black with white stripe has to sense that the lights have voltage sent to them. How can it do this going to the negative side of the battery (same as ground) ? Should it not be tied in with the wire that goes to the ballast from the old headlight circuit so it knows the lights have been turned on, and then starts the delay????

Back