evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching
Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching
Math In 1960s

4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching
Math In 1970s

$80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching
Math In 1980s

$80 and his profit is $20. Your
assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching
Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
(There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching
Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.
El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did:

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58.

6. Teaching
Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.
El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Shouldn't that be a burrito at Taco Bell instead of a burger at Burger King??:whistle:

Thats the truth.

On a side note i rarely go to mcdonalds, last week was craving some nuggets, total was 4.03, noticed it was taking the girl forever to count out the change, i gave her a 5. "oh your gonna hate me" we're all out of dimes and quarters :banghead: left with 97 cents of nickels and pennies

I feel GREAT!!!!!! I am sending this to my kids. I always told my kids to get the basics down, and the rest would come. Learn the basics early, understand math early and it is not a chore as one grows up. See, as the kids were growing up I explained to them that in the USA we are dumbing down the people. A couple examples I used was at Mickey D`s (McDonalds) for you lame folk:laugh:, they no longer have numbers on the registers, they have pretty pictures of the food. Why? Because the kids can`t do math.

I would take my kids to a 7-11 or other convenience store and buy xyz. Say it totals $3.82, I give the clerk a $5.07 the clerk would stand there and look at me like I was nuts. I would explain that the $0.07 was so I could get a solid quarter back.

Or same example, put the change on the counter and the clerk says I don`t need that and pushes the change back at me, and I push the change back to the clerk. After we do this 3 or 4 times I explain that I should XYZ change or all bills back. My kids would stand there and watch. Old Dad ain`t as dumbass as they thought.

Both kids are in college now, and doing well. :laugh:

I am taking differential equations in college and so far the first 2 days we have only gone over elementary algebra. He started off the class by saying if the school system worked right half you would not be in this class but since it doesn't I have to teach you things that you should have learned before high school. He then went on to explain how to solve for Y, if X+Y=0, and x=50 for basically the entire first day.

up here kids that dont get it are given a shorter test and its called learned at a lesser level,, yet it gives them an A, where the rest of the class had to do the full test and their mark say is a B ,, there mark sticks. seems fair to me.
its all a crock of you know.. and dam teachers should stop being afraid of their students and teach. or maybe all the teachers think its a gravy job good pay great pension and a ton of vacation. Im speaking about here in Canada, dont know what the states is like for teachers, but here they make good money.

I am taking differential equations in college and so far the first 2 days we have only gone over elementary algebra. He started off the class by saying if the school system worked right half you would not be in this class but since it doesn't I have to teach you things that you should have learned before high school. He then went on to explain how to solve for Y, if X+Y=0, and x=50 for basically the entire first day.
please say your joking

When I went through, Calc1, 2, and 3 were pre reqs to Diff E. Where are you taking classes? There certainly should be some higher level math prior to that course. Trust me, the basic algebra stuff was NO problem by the time you got to Diff E.

Back