$50 helmet/bike DV camera/recorder

When FPS isn't advertised it's usually pretty bad.  It's 320X240 res will also look very outdated.

Two weeks ago I stopped off at Officemax and they had Sakar hybrid digital camcorders on the clearance table for $45 bucks so I picked one up.  Once I got it home and opened it I looked at the back page of the owners manual to find it only does 9 FPS at 320X240.  Not only did that suck but there was no screw mount on the bottom to hold it to the Busa's camera mount.

I took a 5 minute video from my car and the quality was pathetic.  At 40 mph everything looked like stop motion clay animation and was very blocky.  It also used 3 AAA batteries.  A new pack of Rayovacs lasted less than 3 minutes.  Fresh out of the charger high drain Nimh batteries lasted exactly 5 minutes.  Useless item that I returned the next day.

Stopped off at Best Buy and found an Aiptek on sale for $89 (regular $150).  Same size as the Sakar but does 30 FPS at 640X480 or 320X240.  Quality is amazing and the included lithium ion battery lasts for about 2 hours and charges quickly in its pod.  Accepts up to a 2 gig SD card for hours worth of videos.  Does all kinds of other things like playing MP3s and movies on its rotatable 2.4" screen.

Here's a pick mounted up (the decal comes off).

camera1.jpg

I can plug the helmet speakers in to listen to MP3s or watch TV shows while travelling.  Ok...watching videos while riding a bike is kinda stupid but it's doable is someone chooses and the screen is very sharp.
smile.gif

camera2.jpg

I'm still looking for a smaller digital camera...I'm using a Sony now, but its similar to the palm size models. Been checking out the Hard Disc models, JVC has a new line of them, including HD Recording, the video quality is amazing, but haven't tied one on the Busa yet.
I swap out to the stock screen when video'ing, a light smoke will work, but the dark smoke is a no-go.

Thats exactly how I feel. Sometimes things are to good to be true. As far as anything worth while, you want 35fps+. Frame rate is a must have, you can adjust around the res and quality settings later. Real life feed should be 55fps+. Extreme feed with outstanding feed would be 85fps+

(manatrader @ Dec. 02 2006,12:58) Hey Turbo do you shoot through the smoked windscreen?
Yeah but I haven't had a chance to try out the new tank mount yet. Day after I received it the weather took a major turn for the worse.

I did get a chance to try it out before that by fastening it with a couple small bungies to the triple tree.
crazy.gif

Here's a small clip taken as I pull out of my driveway. I slightly dumbed down the quality on it to reduce size. It's shot through the stock windshield and the image stabilization feature was turned off.
Don't expect anything fancy as I took it slow and easy not wanting my new toy to slip out of the bungies.
smile.gif

http://www.weacceptfoodstamps.com/movie1.wmv

For $89 bucks the quality is halfway decent and I'm real happy with it.

if you want a good decent camera try these,can't be beat..

Good Camera

on a ride with camera[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
(Turbo-Torch @ Dec. 02 2006,15:18) Stopped off at Best Buy and found an Aiptek on sale for $89 (regular $150).  
I got an Aiptek at BB too (same deal, $89). Took it back 2 days later. Still pics were terrible. They were either very blurry or garbled. I never did try to shoot any video with it. Guess I got a bad one.

PHOT0003.jpg

PHOT0021.jpg

Something seriously wrong with the one you bought. Maybe somebody knocked it off the shelf, those plastic blister packs offer no protection. Was yours black or silver? I didn't think the 5 megapixel black version was out in June.

This is a pic I just took off my back deck. The 640X480 resample to fit it in this post doesn't do it justice. The full size pic on my PC is incredible.

pic11.jpg

(Turbo-Torch @ Dec. 03 2006,14:21) Something seriously wrong with the one you bought.  Maybe somebody knocked it off the shelf, those plastic blister packs offer no protection.  Was yours black or silver?  I didn't think the 5 megapixel black version was out in June.
If I remember correctly it was a 3mp. I agree that something was probably wrong with the particular camera that I got. That's why I didn't throw up the red flag and say "It's junk, don't buy one!" I ended up getting a Nikon Coolpix L4 that I absolutely love. Like your backyard shot, 640X480 doesn't come close to doing the full res version justice as far as quality and clarity go.

Pretty_ladies_all_in_a_row.JPG

(manatrader @ Dec. 02 2006,14:58) Hey Turbo do you shoot through the smoked windscreen?
I have a dark smoke screen that I shoot through. As long as it isn't too dark out it will be ok. There is a video in my sig that you can definitely tell when it is early morning or late evening.

Back