5 Things I Learned At The Track

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I found these notes in my journal, thought I would share.

1. Be prepared: This applies to anything you do on a motorcycle, but since track experiences tend to be extreme it is very important here. Being prepared is more than just covering your bases in the event of a problem, it sets your frame of mind and helps you maintain focus. Anything that you are worried about is a distraction so removing distractions is always a good move. Once you have experienced being prepared, you will find that not wearing your gear or not checking the bike over are so distracting you won't enjoy the ride without proper preparation anymore.

2. Tracks Really are safer: When I got home from the track the first time I was actually uncomfortable on the street. The track is so wide, to come back to one side of a road that is a fraction of the width of a track is enlightening shall we say? When you ride the track you don't look for on-coming traffic, or animals, or scan the road surface for gravel and oil. You have to ride the track to appreciate how many dangers are on the street.

3. Motorcycles are amazing: What motorcycles can do is amazing and you're probably just scratching the surface of the skill needed to maximize them. When I first went to the track I had thousands of street miles under my belt. What I realized is that those skills I was developing either worked best or only worked in the 0-40% performance envelope I was riding in on the street. The Hayabusa really is amazing. It is not a race replica, but it is a formidable motorcycle on the track. It frustrated several Ducatis when they passed it easily in the turns only to have it zoom by on the straights.

4. Tires are amazing: You can feel when a tire gets hot. It feels glued to the ground. The rubber shreds up in little melted rolls and the tire is very hot to the touch. After a few sessions the tire changes from a normal rubber texture to a harder shell, I suppose the plasticisers are released from the tread as the tire heats and cools. Tires also work at very low pressures. The lower the pressure the more you have to ride the bike correctly to keep feeling. It's hard to think of an air filled rubber tube as a machine, at least until you've been on the track.

5. Not all track days are alike: I'm not going to give names but I was pretty uncomfortable on my first track day. There were too many people on track at to wide of a skill level. Also the coaches were the ones I feared the most, as they would buzz by and cut in front of you in turns and breaking zones. The second track day (with a different company) was awesome. I felt comfortable at all times on the track and they were friendly and informative.

You forgot #6 Arch...YOU are SLOW lol

We all have a lot to learn...the track is the best place to do it.

What I learned at the track...

1. For every curve I got better so did Uncle Steve, he used to laugh at me on the radio as he lapped me.
2. My wife encouraged me to do track days because I constantly worried about crashing when I was there, when I got home all of our paper work was updated and all the honey do's got done because it was a whole weekend to think about "How would I leave her on this Earth" :)
3. Macon454 is NUUUUUTZ and can outride me in the parking lot, track, highway and even how he loads his bike into the truck (Rides it up a dirtbike ramp)
4. Tire pressure & temp is more important than I thought.
5. Hayabusa's do Fly.. I saw it TWICE!

uncle steve.png

Are you now a fortified track junky Arch?

How's life treating you? Long time no see! :hello:

How is this for a slow conversation (2 months for a response...)? I do love the track but I'm getting too old and my health is not the best. We did not go this year because my buddy crashed his brand new 1199 and has been saving up and buying pieces for a year! Maybe next year.

That pic is uncle Steve. He can out ride me all day every day.

What I learned at the track...

1. For every curve I got better so did Uncle Steve, he used to laugh at me on the radio as he lapped me.
2. My wife encouraged me to do track days because I constantly worried about crashing when I was there, when I got home all of our paper work was updated and all the honey do's got done because it was a whole weekend to think about "How would I leave her on this Earth" :)
3. Macon454 is NUUUUUTZ and can outride me in the parking lot, track, highway and even how he loads his bike into the truck (Rides it up a dirtbike ramp)
4. Tire pressure & temp is more important than I thought.
5. Hayabusa's do Fly.. I saw it TWICE!

View attachment 398393
This reminded me of fallenarch's idea some time ago about putting a flying pig decal on his busa. :laugh:

Back