+5 rear sprocket - top speed ?

CopMagnet5oh

Registered
99 busa, +5 rear sprocket, 180/55 tire. what would top speed be around ? i can easily reach 11k rpm redline ( bike has 159rwhp with some weight savings and im 155lbs ) ppl argue about top speed all the time, my guess would be +5 rear sprocket is about 12-13% difference from stock, but i dont know what the top speed is to begin with.

i know calculators for gear changes, but i do not know values for trans gears.

- Kons

165 maybe and good luck on that 11K thang, don't know if that will help in 6th gear, 10.4 / 10.5 is usually it on Gen I :beerchug:

thats what i was thinking. I did a dyno pull a cpl of years ago on my 06 with a setup of -1+2 and it hit the limiter at 171and that was with speedo correction already with a speedo healer. Of course in my case the speedo healer is off by about 3mph to the high side after you pass about 100mph or so. stays consistent through the rest though

P3160001.jpg

271km/h= 169mph, i only had a mile-1 1/2mile stretch ( 0-169-0 ) out in the farm fields and couldnt tuck as my windscreen isnt transparent and my gps was mounted on the tank, take that into consideration, i think 175 isnt an issue with +5.

cheers.

- Kons

ps. GPS shows there and back trip.

I didn't notice the 55 series tire last night (or that it was a 99 unrestricted, I posted 186 limit) The tire helps and with it I belive it'll pass 170. That's cool man, now wait to get flamed on the countless lives you endangered on that deserted straight stretch of test track you've got.:laugh:

I didn't notice the 55 series tire last night (or that it was a 99 unrestricted, I posted 186 limit) The tire helps and with it I belive it'll pass 170. That's cool man, now wait to get flamed on the countless lives you endangered on that deserted straight stretch of test track you've got.:laugh:

yeah, but its 180/55, not 190/55.

lol, its internet, ppl can talk/post whatever they like, doesnt bother me any :beerchug:

yeah, but its 180/55, not 190/55.

lol, its internet, ppl can talk/post whatever they like, doesnt bother me any :beerchug:

There is probably a few mm height difference between the 180 and 190, but it's still a taller tire. Depending who you argue with:laugh: the difference in a 190/50 to a 190/55 equals 1 to 2 less teeth on the rear sprocket with the 55, given how the extra height changes the overall gear ratio. So it did help your top end by a few mph.

Running the 180/55 you gain an inch in circumference over the stock 190/50, but with +5 sprocket you lose about 2mph on the top.

Running the 180/55 you gain an inch in circumference over the stock 190/50, but with +5 sprocket you lose about 2mph on the top.

It's alot more than 2mph. An unrestricted Busa(his is)stock geared is capable of low 190's. He said he had a little more left at 169mph, so say low 170's. His +5 rear is more like a +3 with the 55 series tire too. So he's still roughly 15 to 20 mph slower on top, which is alot more realistic.

according to my calculator, at stock limiter for a gen 1, it would be 175.6 mph...

However, in my experience top speed runs seldom hit the limiter in 6th gear, they run out of steam first...

so i would expect closer to 171 ish rather than 175....

course tire slip etc. will have an impact too...

according to my calculator, at stock limiter for a gen 1, it would be 175.6 mph...

However, in my experience top speed runs seldom hit the limiter in 6th gear, they run out of steam first...

so i would expect closer to 171 ish rather than 175....

course tire slip etc. will have an impact too...

We have a winner:thumbsup:

Back