5 bikes in 5 years.

Mikester

Registered
Long time lurker, first time poster. Nearly bought a Busa a few years ago, but the Blackbird deal was too good at that time.

Been riding sport bikes since I was 16. I'm edging closer to 50 now, and have had about a dozen bikes over the years. After a 10 year break from riding (had 2 kids, etc.) I wanted to get back to it. It never leaves you, and every Spring (up here in Ontario, Canada), I'd get the bug when I'd see other riders out. My cousin in Manitoba had has old 82 Yamaha RD350 rotting in a barn that he had since new. I remember when he bought it new. The bike was in very sad shape, but after a few months of TLC, it was back to stock and ready to go. Fun bike back then - it was terrifying when I was 16 - but I was smaller and lighter then. I'm about 6'1" and range between 220-230lbs. I quickly realized that I was just too big for the bike (especially on the highway), and had to let her go.

Traded the 82 RD for a 97 Honda VFR750 (RC36). V4 motor was very strong and the sound was intoxicating. The bike was great, but at the time, my mechanic friend had a few Blackbirds of his own that he raved about, and a handful of Blackbird riders would hang out at the shop in the back alley after hours. One of the guys let me take his Blackbird around the block, and I then had my heart set on finding one. It just fit me better than the VFR, and the power on tap was pretty compelling.

Here's the once in a lifetime freaky part. I found a Blackbird on the same street as the person that bought my VFR - about 70km from my house. Didn't know either guy, and they didn't know each other. Houses about 200 yards apart. I dropped off the VFR with the happy new buyer, then walked down the street with my helmet and cash in hand to get on my 02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and ride her home.

At one point in time, the Blackbird and Busa were often compared - giving the power advantage to the Busa, and overall build quality/refinement to the Blackbird (from what I read anyway - I don't really care - they're both great bikes). The one thing that always struck me about the Blackbird is that it has no soul. Hard to describe. It's a fantastic machine - never let me down, gobs of power, comfy enough - no complaints at all. It just didn't turn me on. Even when it was ripping my arms out of shoulders. Something too clinical and 'matter of fact' about it.

So when the love was gone (was never there), I posted the Bird up for sale/trade. Contacted by a guy with an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan VN2000 (2053cc V-twin). In my 30+ years of riding, I have never had a cruiser of any kind, and always preferred being over the front of my bike to sitting back and having the controls brought back to the rider. At first I thought "nope" - but then I thought, what the heck, I'll go look at it. We met at a Timmy's (coffee shop up here) half way, chatted for a bit, then took each others bike for a 20 minute ride. Then chatted for a couple of hours - lots of common ground - before we headed home on our own machines. We stayed in touch - some potential to do business together as well - and I admitted that I found the Kawi to be slow, but was going to easy on her as well. We ended up trading bikes for a week, and the charm grew on me. Figured I could always get rid of it if I didn't like it. It had backrests, floor boards, luggage, stereo, bluetooth, HID, LED, lighter, cup holder, and chrome everything. It didn't take me long to realize what a big cumbersome pig it was. Not something you just hop on and go - and I don't tour. So I listed it and did the trade for a guy my age with a Busa that was looking to tour down to Sturgis and other points in the US.

Bike was lowered and stretched, which I have undone this week. I'll post some pics of that process for anyone looking to go the other way. Largely cosmetic, and while it looks cool, I'd rather have the bike handle the way it was intended, and I'm tall enough to reach the ground with it at stock height. Putting a new chain and sprockets on her in the next day or two, then she's good to go.

Better get back to work :)

Thank you - I love bikes, and in the short 2 hours I rode the Busa I knew it was going to be a good bike for me. Looking forward to spending some quality time getting to know her.

:welcome: you are going to fall in love with her you think the black bird ran good wait until you rip into your busa the hayabusa preys on black birds :laugh:

Welcome! Thank you for a very nice, heartfelt story of your life. Seems that all your life you have been looking for something - something that was missing. And now you found it. Congratulations!

Obviously, it's' Gen 1. What year? That exhaust must be very loud. Is it?

It's an '06. The full Hindle system is pretty loud. Not bad when riding civilized and with early gear changes, but it does roar when opened up a bit. Nothing offensive though :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! :) The chain is going on tonight hopefully - worst case tomorrow. Very much looking forward to getting more familiar with her. :)

Did you buy sprockets. always a great idea to change them as a set.

Normally I would - but the sprockets are in very good shape. I'm picking up a set of stock sprockets this week for next time - when I put the Tsubaki chain on! Agreed that swapping out the chain + sprockets at the same time is the best practice. Absolutely agree.

Back