43t rear sprocket installed...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Finally got my AFAM 43t zinc coated steel rear sprocket at a little after 1800 hours this evening from UPS.
mad.gif
Anyway, I had the wheel removed and the stock sprocket removed ready for it when it arrived. A little blue Loctite, a 14mm socket, a torque wrench, and a little sweat later and I had the new one bolted on. Then came the fun part. Loosening the chain adjustment bolts all the way in, installing the wheel/axle, then adjusting the chain and getting the wheel/sprocket into alignment with the chain again.

As always, it's not that hard to do, it's just tedious and a little time consumin' tryin' to get the chain tension just right while at the same time aligning the rear wheel. Luckily my hash marks seem to be pretty accurate. With the stock chain, the 43 tooth sprocket shortened the wheelbase right at 4/10ths of an inch measured by dial caliper from where the back of the axle adjustment washer is now and where the mark on the swingarm from the washer was before.

Install was pretty painless other than tryin' to align the rear wheel, rear brake caliper, and jockey the tire into position while tryin' to feed the axle through it all with no help. Not that bad really but it was the worst part of the job. I'd say that if you can align the wheel and adjust the tension of the chain properly you will have no problems doin' this mod yourself.
wink.gif

Now for my first ride report. First of all, it didn't make as big of a difference in easy take offs as I figured it would. It made a difference (definite improvement... less lug), just not as big of a difference as I had expected. On the same note, it didn't change the lowest part of first gear as much as I was expecting either. Again, it's definitely better, just not the day and night difference I expected after readin' others' posts about droppin' the gearing.

Once rollin' it definitely made a big difference though. Far closer to what I had expected. She definitely doesn't feel like a machine geared for 200mph luggin' around at 55 mph now. The gear change turned her into a low end barn burner. She's a LOT more peppy than before once you get past the low end of first gear. Even roll ons in 6th gear feel much stronger.

To avoid excessive wear down the center of the tire (yep, I'm holdin' strong and keepin' my word to myself on this!) I didn't really romp on 'er too hard from dead stops in the low gears, but I rolled on hard enough a few times to feel the difference. You can definitely feel that martherfarker tryin' to paw the ground when you twist on it now. It fuggin' sling shots when you drop two gears and roll on it any at all.

I don't know if it's possible to feel a difference in handlin' by shortenin' the wheelbase 4/10ths of an inch, but I swear it felt a little different today than the other times I rode it on the new tires. Maybe it's just a "placebo effect" or something, but I just know it's different somehow in the corners.
rock.gif

Anyway, if you want to wake your busa up for around town or twisty ridin' I'd say that a 43t rear sprocket would be a nice way to do it. I only rode about 25 miles or so but I can already tell that it's more suited to my style of ridin' with the lower gearing. Not sure yet if the 43t alone is gonna put the RPM's where I want them in the twisties but based on the few decent corners I hit today it's definitely an improvement. I don't think I'm willing to trade off much more cruisin' speed revs or gas mileage for any more revs though. I think a 16t front would definitely put it over the top for me. I'm wondering what a 44t rear would do though. I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy a new chain if I wanted to try it so it ain't gonna happen right now. Hopefully the 43t will do what I want it to do and I won't need anymore.

I know what some of you are prolly thinkin' at this point. Will he ever shut up!?!
drooling3.gif
Yeah, I will, soon... I know what else some of you are thinkin' as well. Why do most people post "daaayyyyyyuuuuuuuummmmm" level posts after gearing changes and BT only posts at a "nice improvement" level of enthusiasm? I'm glad you asked. As I said, I'm slowin' my azz down on the street and avoidin' low gear blasts. I'm doin' this for two reasons.

#1 is that I was flirtin' with disaster and luckily I realized this before something tragic happened. It was just a matter of time before I either got busted, riskin' my license and my job. or I busted myself and Da' Train up BAD. It makes less sense to me every day to take that kind of risk on the street. Don't get me wrong, I still love to play. I'm just gettin' my thrills from cookin' the corners at 15-20+ mph above the speed limit with that beeyotch leaned as far as I dare to lean 'er instead of blazin' along the straights at 150+. After seein' the guy that hit the deer at 130+ on the R6 I just can't get comfortable hittin' those kinds of speed in many places on the road anymore.
rock.gif

#2 is the tire thing. It just gripes my ever lovin' azz to look at the stock tire and see all that rubber left on the outsides while the center is nearly gone. I can't tell you how much that torques me off!
mad.gif
Wasted money is what it is, and I don't have any to waste.
drooling3.gif
I simply refuse to waste the outside edges of the POWER's by eatin' up the middle on low gear blasts. I'm gonna take it easy on the straights, enjoy the ride, and then get buck wild in dem corners to get my rocks off.

So, if I had romped on it hard in first or second there is no doubt in my mind that I'd be postin' another "Oh my friggin' God" type post. Fact is I done the gear swap to get somethin' besides stump pullin' torque and front wheel loftin' runs through the low gears. I'll be much more impressed if the swap improves the busa in the twisties than I will about how it runs through the low gears. Based on what I felt during my ride today, I'm sure the wow, or rather "Fuggin' WOW!!!" factor is there now. It's just that it isn't my thing anymore.

Questions? Comments?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090460204 -->

rock.gif

mad.gif

drooling3.gif

rock.gif

Shat you already got it on...Glad it fit...Didn't know if it would or not...Got my answer now...
evil.gif

Shat you already got it on...Glad it fit...Didn't know if it would or not...Got my answer now...  
evil.gif
Yeah, flrider had already done it and confirmed that the stock chain would work. It moved the rear wheel forward in the swingarm about 4/10ths of an inch but there was still plenty of adjustment room toward the front if needed.
wink.gif

Sounds like fun. I just changed from 16/40 to 17/39 tonight. I'm changing from one extereme to another with a shift towards the high end. The 39 rear sprocket may be less than ideal for the power band, but I'm going to find out soon somewhere in the center of the swamp state. If the ratio is too tall, then I'll remount the 40 toother. I'll put a printout of my gearing spreadsheet under the seat when I'm ready for mach 1.

For what it's worth, I stacked two short sections of 2x4's under the rear tire to prop it up while getting the axle in.

Glad it all worked out in the install Chris. I didn't type out a ride report when I changed mine to 43t but my impressions are similar to yours. I have not done any hard blasts in the lower gears but entering freeway on ramps is a lot more fun now. The rpm range works out just great for me in the type of corner riding I do on a continuing basis. I guess I will just have to catch up to the guys with stock gearing when they stop after their top end runs. I don't mind though..  
smile.gif
 Bob

By the way Chris, when I installed the yellow box I input 17%. This was a result of checking actual speed with my GPS. With the yellow box activated and checking with the GPS my speedo is now almost dead on. Optimized for 65 to 70 since that is what I would be riding if the popo were in sight.

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090463307 -->

cool BT just got done putin in the 16/42 sprockets in myself all i gotta say is I shift into 2nd gear hella quicker than stock gearing
now i gotta get a spedohealer cause the spedometer is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off
wow.gif

Great...another mod for me to do!!! I love this board. Thanks for the info BT. I was going to ask if it changes speedo accuracy but from reading the above posts I guess it does. What did you use to correct it? a yellowbox?

Sounds like fun. I just changed from 16/40 to 17/39 tonight. I'm changing from one extereme to another with a shift towards the high end. The 39 rear sprocket may be less than ideal for the power band, but I'm going to find out soon somewhere in the center of the swamp state.  If the ratio is too tall, then I'll remount the 40 toother. I'll put a printout of my gearing spreadsheet under the seat when I'm ready for mach 1.

For what it's worth, I stacked two short sections of 2x4's under the rear tire to prop it up while getting the axle in.
Let us know how your top end run works out.
wink.gif

Glad it all worked out in the install Chris. I didn't type out a ride report when I changed mine to 43t but my impressions are similar to yours. I have not done any hard blasts in the lower gears but entering freeway on ramps is a lot more fun now. The rpm range works out just great for me in the type of corner riding I do on a continuing basis. I guess I will just have to catch up to the guys with stock gearing when they stop after their top end runs. I don't mind though..  
smile.gif
 Bob

By the way Chris, when I installed the yellow box I input 17%. This was a result of checking actual speed with my GPS. With the yellow box activated and checking with the GPS my speedo is now almost dead on. Optimized for 65 to 70 since that is what I would be riding if the popo were in sight.
Well, I'd stay back with ya when the group took off.
beerchug.gif
I'm hoping that the plug n' go speedo healers are in stock in a few days as promised. I think they're a little cheaper than the yellow box and they are supposed to offer finer adjustment. We'll see, I guess.
wink.gif

cool BT just got done putin in the 16/42 sprockets in myself all i gotta say is I shift into 2nd gear hella quicker than stock gearing
now i gotta get a spedohealer cause the spedometer is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off
wow.gif
I can only imagine how peppy it must be with 16/42 gearing. I'm glad flrider more or less talked me out of goin' that route and into goin' with the 43t rear only. I think 16/42 would definitely be over the top for me.
wink.gif

Great...another mod for me to do!!! I love this board.  Thanks for the info BT.  I was going to ask if it changes speedo accuracy but from reading the above posts I guess it does.  What did you use to correct it?  a yellowbox?
Yeah, it's definitely readin' faster than I'm goin'. I don't know how much... Gotta get a speedo healer on there so I know how fast I'm really goin'.
wink.gif

HEY BT, If what you stated above is that Speedo-Healer is getting a plug and play version for the Busa please keep us updated.  I messaged them about 2 months ago and they told me they were not able to get factory Suzuki plugs, and I'm not much for cutting my babies wires.  So If ya know something I don't please let me know.

Thanks
Scott

<!--EDIT|mzrsq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090532997 -->

definitely sounds like you're on your way to havin more of a blast, bro! Just do me a favor and watch that speed in the corners...low-sides don't sound much like fun.

Who has the best price on a speedo healer? I am waiting on my 16/42 setup to come in, but just about forgot about the speedo.

HEY BT, If what you stated above is that Speedo-Healer is getting a plug and play version for the Busa please keep us updated.  I messaged them about 2 months ago and they told me they were not able to get factory Suzuki plugs, and I'm not much for cutting my babies wires.  So If ya know something I don't please let me know.

Thanks
Scott
Well, according to Norbert from Speedo Healer, the suzuki plug n' go version does NOT have a plug but it has connectors that plug into the factory plug so no wire cutting is required to install the speedo healer unit. He says you have to use insulated tape to hold the connectors in place. I'm thinkin' maybe heat shrink would work, too, but I'll have to wait and see what it looks like when it gets here. I'll keep you guys posted...

Scott, go to the speedohealer web site. The plug and go is talked about on their site.

BT, don't you ever sleep? It's like midnight in GA is it not? What a man.....
tounge.gif

Back