400hp Bike

Terrence

Registered
I'm in the process of trying to decide between nitrous or turbo. Turbo seems to be the way to go on first thought but I can't ignore nitrous as an option. My question is what all would I need to run an reliable nitrous setup that will push the my gen 1 hayabusa to 400hp. I'm more concerned with the mechanical parts like pistons, rings, head work etc.

Whether you go nitrous or turbo, you should do a cost assessment and understand that every element of the motor will need to be prepared to handle over twice the stock hp. From oil pressure to cylinder head/valves/springs/rods/pistons/studs all the way to transmission (HD shaft/cut by a pro). What is your intended application? If it is a track only bike, I would recommend selling your bike and buying a bike or motor already built for cost savings. You are going to greatly underestimate what it takes to make 400hp.

You are going to greatly underestimate what it takes to make 400hp.
yep plan on spending $15k to get started.... and 400hp on N20 is a lot of abuse on ur motor and hits way harder then a Turbo does so its far harder on the motor.

a full motor and tranny build will be necessary plus some sort of N20 controller and an air shifter, longer arm, tire, shock etc....

If I were to do over again, and that's easy to say, I might have waited on a bike that was already built by a reputable builder (which comes with its own risk) and bought it and left mine so that I could have a streetable bike and a 400hp grudge bike. Instead I spent twice as much to have one bike that is dual purpose. And although Brett and I have both had motors blow in the last year, his was way more catastrophic than mine. I would expect that the build for a 400hp has at least a moderate chance of some sort of failure unless the build is as Brett did with a pro street setup which cost him incrementally more than most. Just learn as you go. Its a journey. If you have no credit card debt, that will probably disappear rapidly. When you run into the clutch, chassis, inevitable problems, we will try to assist you as we are all going through it.

Last edited:
If you do it right the first time with reliable parts the build will be reliable.
Good parts and labor are expensive but it's pay now or pay twice later

I got 400 out of my 03. Carillo rods, CP pistons, studs, HD springs, 800cc injectors, Turbo, liquid/air intercooler, E85, and a shitty small TD05-18G Turbo. Sold it all before I could speak to reliability, but I learned that building from scratch is WWAAYYYYY more expensive than buying a build that's mostly done.

Id like to build a motor myself just for familiarity, I haven't done one. But hell, a trans with HD shaft alone is over a grand, shift forks, shafts, poop. You can find Knecum and other built motors that guys ran out of money on for less than $4k.

If I were to do over again, and that's easy to say, I might have waited on a bike that was already built by a reputable builder (which comes with its own risk) and bought it and left mine so that I could have a streetable bike and a 400hp grudge bike. Instead I spent twice as much to have one bike that is dual purpose. And although Brett and I have both had motors blow in the last year, his was way more catastrophic than mine. I would expect that the build for a 400hp has at least a moderate chance of some sort of failure unless the build is as Brett did with a pro street setup which cost him incrementally more than most. Just learn as you go. Its a journey. If you have no credit card debt, that will probably disappear rapidly. When you run into the clutch, chassis, inevitable problems, we will try to assist you as we are all going through it.
also.. even if u find a built bike with allllll the right parts.... a great tune is necessary, and the bike needs to be put together the right way(electrical... all these high dollar parts have to work together).... u pay one way or the other.... reliable power isn't cheap.

Back