400 watt stator?

2hip

Registered
A question arose for me while looking at McMustang's linky on the stator cover removal. A guy named Bronto in 2005 made a statement of a 400 watt stator versus something like a stock 150 watt stator. I am thinking of putting some serious firepower on in the way of lighting and heated gear for cool weather which is only a couple of months off. I don't ride rainy weather due to all of the rock on the mountain twisties I am forced to ride through at night. So, when I read about the difference in wattage I thought..???. Anyone here done some electrical upgrades, inclusive of a upgraded stator?
Please advise...thanks, 2hip

2hip -
There are some threads about beefed up stators... let me look around and see what I can dig up - give me a few...

Okay, so Rick's Motorsport Electrics
Sells a kit; there was a group buy set up a year or two ago by GixerHP, but it never took because of the core requirement.

See if this helps you out.

MCM

Attachments

• 2007-03-06High_Output_Hayabusa_Kit.pdf
    520.1 KB · Views: 291
McMustang...you da bomb, baby...tx, for the lead..it is exactly what I was looking for. 2hip

just get you one of thes and put it on the back seat 48kilowatts an hour 200 amps 240v:laugh:

5642 Orange Background.jpg

I worked at Generac for a few years thats a baby, you should see the big ones!

BTW I also did the ricks motorsports electrics stator upgrade last year. Cant say wether I noticed the difference becuase I also added electric accessories at the same time but I haven't had a charging issue yet.

Turbo, did you also upgrade to the larger Rectifer when you did the install? Also did you install the new stator yourself or a bike wrench? tx, 2hip

DJSIN, may be i could just put that in the trailer. Heh, do they also have those new Hayabusa electric awnings that go with the trailer? :laugh:2hip

150 watts is less than 13 amps. :poke:

My Burgman, with a single-cylinder motor, has more draw than that. ???

I think 400 watts is stock on the Busa.

A quick way to check if you even need a beefier stator is to run EVERYTHING you want to run at once, with a voltage meter attached. You can accept numbers as low as 12.5V at low idle, (because the stator on any bike has trouble producing power at low speeds), and as long as you're over 13V while moving, you'll be fine.

400 is stock, and the upgrade from Ricks, is around 500:beerchug:

Is this really needed for a heated suit? I don't really know how much a heated suit pulls, however, I already have H.I.D. dim and bright lights red l.e.d.'s all over, white strobes power commander, speedo healer and intercom system. Would the upgrade be needed?

Is this really needed for a heated suit? I don't really know how much a heated suit pulls, however, I already have H.I.D. dim and bright lights red l.e.d.'s all over, white strobes power commander, speedo healer and intercom system. Would the upgrade be needed?

Just add up your wattage of what your running and if you are pushing or over 400 then the mod would be a good one for you.

Good luck and if you do it...post it up!

On the way back from Alabama two weeks ago it was cold and rainy. I have a $50 digital volt meter onboard and when I have my Gerbing pants and jacket turned on to medium there's no problem but when I turn on my high beam volts drop from 13.9-14.0 to 12.6. If I was to run it that way for any length of time I would be in a discharge condition which wouldn't be good. I know now not to run highs alot but wonder if I would've switched and put electric gloves on what would the draw be? I'll check in a couple of days and report back on the heated gloves. I would like to know what's possible in the way of an optional stator or one rewound to provide a higher output. Wardie

My Stator crapped out on me on the way home from work before I deployed. It came completely uncoiled. I am going to go ahead and do the Ricks Electric upgrade when i get off deplotment later this year. Is there anything else that I should inspect for possible damage other than the stator and rectifier/regulator replacement?

Mani

What is the stock stator output? I am going to go the Ricks route as I have an electrical problem myself. Its either the stator or rectifier... I will find out tonight.

What is the stock stator output? I am going to go the Ricks route as I have an electrical problem myself. Its either the stator or rectifier... I will find out tonight.

Stock is 400 watts at 5k RPM

I run heated gear with no problems - switching to HID's will also reduce the current draw.

Back