400 lb Standard that runs in the 12s?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Is there one out there that’s not over 400 pounds but still turns the quarter at least in the mid 12s? It would also have to corner better than a typical cruiser. I like the grunt that some cruisers have (I had a 4 speed 93 Suzy 1400 V Twin Intruder ‘Harley killer’ myself some time back but it didn’t corner worth a damn). I like the looks of the Honda CB 1300 and similar bikes but they’re just too heavy. Any ideas?

Don’t much like the looks of the KTM and hadn’t thought of a Yamaha. Don’t all their nuts tighten to the left?:laugh: And it’s an in-line twin? They still make those?:D The weights right though.:)

I had a 15’ fz07 as my first bike and I did enjoy it. Basically feels like a fatter road going dirt bike. Got about 50mpg. The suspension is way too soft and bouncy for a experienced rider.
Had some decent acceleration for the size and style, could get the front end up through 4th with just full throttle power wheelies. It’s not fast though. Limited to 120mph.
Every once and a while while riding the Busa I do miss it. It’s really a hooligan bike that’ll make you smile because you can just romp on it anywhere, it’s very playful.

I’d suggest sitting on it and test riding aswell

The Suzuki SV 650 is another possibility. Not super sexy but a great basic package with lots of mod parts available. Wet weight is about 430 lbs, L-Twin torque, low $6K price brand spanking new. It's a Suzuki so it will need brakes and suspension fixes though.

The Suzuki SV 650 is another possibility. Not super sexy but a great basic package with lots of mod parts available. Wet weight is about 430 lbs, L-Twin torque, low $6K price brand spanking new. It's a Suzuki so it will need brakes and suspension fixes though.

I rode my daughter’s SV650 quite a few times. Even though I felt too big riding it, the weight and handling were fine. The original Triumph Bonneville was just a 650 (40ci) and was a rocket in its day. I didn’t feel small riding it. The SV would run rings around it today though, lighter, faster, quicker, better brakes, suspension and so on. Wish she hadn’t sold it now that my Honda is gone. :confused:

What do you want to do with a sub 400lb 12 sec 1/4 mile bike?
Sounds like that new Indian 1200 street dirt tracker.
How about more weight, and dirtbike feel, Kawasaki Z1000
Or closer yet, a gsxr1k with dirtbike bars. As I've said many times, mt friend has an 09 with them, and it's one of the most comfortable, quick, and fun bikes I've ever ridden.
430-440 lbs, and you can lose more.

I’m really just window shopping to see what’s out there, probably used. Something spirited, mid 12s sounded like a good target, top speed not that important, and light enough but large enough to be fun riding the foothills as well as over the Sierra passes, maybe to Nevada or Oregon. The Busa can do anything but it doesn’t like hairpins up or down hill, at least I don’t. A standard riding position with wider bars is more comfy for me at sub sonic speeds and frankly easier to turn in really tight corners.

I’m basically in the same situation as you for window shopping, I’ve come up with quite a few options.

Yamaha FZ1,fz8,fz07,fz09.
Kawasaki zrx1200,z1000.
Honda vfr800,vfr1200.
Suzuki bandit 1200,1250s, SV650, sv1000.

There’s quite a few more options but those could be close to what you’re looking for

Have you looked at the GSX-S750
or GSX-S1000 both are pretty sporty/comfy
and you can find them lightly used for a song .

The 1000 is based on the old K5 GSXR1000
so its built like a brick poop house .

Brother & I test rode a few Suzuki motorcycles ~ and I really liked their G S X - 1000 S a lot *

30602732_1300335126736705_4680236277746892800_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back