4 piston brakes vs. 6 Piston brakes

Hey Ningboy and Epy Welcome!

:welcome:

Epy: Glad to have a math wizard onboard! :thumbsup:

To everyone with Gen II's:
Mine (Gen I) stops fine, and my lever does not have to cycle (move) very much at all from first bite to full on.
What exactly is the "better" you are talking about?
Stopping with less lever pressure?
When I grab it in a panic situation it will throw me right over the front, if I'm not careful.

Last edited:
Well I took the gen1 and gen2 service manuals so i can lay some hard facts on your :moon:

Gen1 has 15.854mm master cylinder diameter, gen2 has 13.984mm
Gen1 has 26.970mm brake caliper piston diameter, gen2 has 32.130mm

From these we can deduce the force multiplication:
gen1: 12*26.970^2/15.854^2=35
gen2: 8*32.130^2/13.984^2=42

So yes gen2 has 21% higher force multiplication:whistle:
Putting gen2 master cylinder onto gen1 would yield 29% improvement in braking :argue:2
But if its wright what you say
"Gen1 has 15.854mm master cylinder diameter,
gen2 has 13.984mm"
Its better to mount the master cylinder of the gen1 into the gen2.
It will improve the brake.or i am wrongh?

Dont you have a response to me about that???

Uh, sure, you realise when you quote a previous post you are basically asking the person who posted it the question not necessarily the general audience.

The Gen 2 had a brake improvement over the Gen 1 before they introduced the Brembo calipers.

Lots of members upgrade their Gen 2 MC with a Brembo (or similar) unit which gives more pressure.

Gen 1 MC would not be an improvement.

There are many threads on this subject and some are more recent.

Maybe ask your question in one thread. Posting the same question in multiple places makes for disjointed conversations about the subject.

Exactly....I answered this one and saw another working thread on the same subject...it gets confusing.

No worries, it's all a learning process...we are always glad to help.
H
No worries, it's all a learning process...we are always glad to help.
HI. First what are you trying to do? The master cylinder should match the calipers. I use 6 piston axial calipers like on gen1 but I use a radial master of 20.6 mm. I use Birenger Brakes. The master must push the right amount of fluid and pressure to stop the bike. Brembo makes a master that can change from 19 to 18mm to chance the way the brakes feel. Like strong bite at first little leaver travel to a softer bite with a little more leaver travel. Brake are not cheep but very important. My calipers were $1,300.00 each the master was $750.00. The are made to stop my bike from 280 MPH.

Get 'em to stop at any speed , a good set of stoppers is always a good investment !!

DSCF1685.JPG

But if its wright what you say
"Gen1 has 15.854mm master cylinder diameter,
gen2 has 13.984mm"
Its better to mount the master cylinder of the gen1 into the gen2.
It will improve the brake.or i am wrongh?
Bigger is not always better. Here is a chart on ISR brake masters different piston sizes. Larger bores take less effort to engage and produce smaller clamping pressure. Smaller bore requires more effort to engage and produces greater hydraulic pressure.

Screenshot_20191018-032229.jpg

Back