4 piston brakes vs. 6 Piston brakes

Why did they change from the six piston brakes (05-07) to a four piston brake (08-09)?

6 piston calipers were used from 1999-2007...and compared the the 4 piston ones that are now used...the 6 pot ones are crap. More is NOT better...they were able to reduce the rotor size also, from 6 pot calipers w/320mm rotors to 4 pot calipers w/310mm rotors.

most likely it was a cost issue..

???

It would have been cheaper to stick with the old tech...they went with the newer and improved design. Wouldn't everybody want stronger and safer brakes.

Last edited:
A six pot caliper takes more fluid to move the same amount as a 4 pot caliper. Less fluid means more clamping force with less lever movement.

The most powerful motorcycle brakes on the planet are four pot. Aren't Brembo's wonderful.
IMAGE_0481253775400.jpg

A six pot caliper takes more fluid to move the same amount as a 4 pot caliper. Less fluid means more clamping force with less lever movement.

I don't think that is quite how it works. People perceive brakes to be powerfull when they don't have to pull hard on the lever to get good braking. You get that either with greater force multiplication in the hydraulic system, or getting brake pads with greater coefficient of friction. The force multiplication in the hydraulic system depends on the master cylinder area and displacement, and the brake piston area.

If anyone has the parameters for gen1 and gen2 busas I would love to have them.

Now when brake fade is considerer, bigger is better:thumbsup:.

I don't think that is quite how it works. People perceive brakes to be powerfull when they don't have to pull hard on the lever to get good braking. You get that either with greater force multiplication in the hydraulic system, or getting brake pads with greater coefficient of friction. The force multiplication in the hydraulic system depends on the master cylinder area and displacement, and the brake piston area.

If anyone has the parameters for gen1 and gen2 busas I would love to have them.

Now when brake fade is considerer, bigger is better:thumbsup:.

The 4 pot system does require less fluid movement than the 6 pot system to apply a equal amount of pressure to the pads and rotors...now if you were to use the same master (which they do) for the 6 pot system on the 4 pot system...you will have more pressure on the pistons to squeeze the pads and rotors. The Gen2 also uses a radial mount for the calipers which is more rigid than the Gen1 design...

The 4 pot system does require less fluid movement than the 6 pot system to apply a equal amount of pressure to the pads and rotors...now if you were to use the same master (which they do) for the 6 pot system on the 4 pot system...you will have more pressure on the pistons to squeeze the pads and rotors. The Gen2 also uses a radial mount for the calipers which is more rigid than the Gen1 design...

Now I'm a bit confused. If gen1 and gen2 have the same master cylinders, the pressure in the hydraulic system will be the same (pressure being the force applied to the master cylinder by your hand divided by the master cylinder area). Then with the laws of hydraulics coming into play, the pressure in the caliber will be the same. If the brake cylinder area is the same in gen2 as in gen1, they will have less area, and thus less force would be generated to push the pads. Can I therefore assume the brake cylinders are bigger in gen2?

I have a 2007 busa BTW, coming from GS500, so I don't really have a problem squeezing the lever hard, and the GS500 had insanely swelly brake hoses.

The 6 pot system sucks and takes a lot of fluid (volume) to work well...the 4 pot calipers are more efficient and do the job :thumbsup:

The Gen2 also uses 310mm rotors vs. the 320's on the Gen1...Gen2's have better bite and noticeably stronger brakes :beerchug:

The 6 pot system sucks and takes a lot of fluid (volume) to work well...the 4 pot calipers are more efficient and do the job :thumbsup:

The Gen2 also uses 310mm rotors vs. the 320's on the Gen1...Gen2's have better bite and noticeably stronger brakes :beerchug:

Well I took the gen1 and gen2 service manuals so i can lay some hard facts on your :moon:

Gen1 has 15.854mm master cylinder diameter, gen2 has 13.984mm
Gen1 has 26.970mm brake caliper piston diameter, gen2 has 32.130mm

From these we can deduce the force multiplication:
gen1: 12*26.970^2/15.854^2=35
gen2: 8*32.130^2/13.984^2=42

So yes gen2 has 21% higher force multiplication:whistle:
Putting gen2 master cylinder onto gen1 would yield 29% improvement in braking :argue:2

Thanks for telling what I already know...the Gen1 brakes suck compared to the Gen2 :beerchug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I took the gen1 and gen2 service manuals so i can lay some hard facts on your :moon:

Putting gen2 master cylinder onto gen1 would yield 29% improvement in braking :argue:2

Thats some good math. :beerchug:

Woooo!:beerchug:

Back