4 Hayabusas,One Dyno

Gixx1300R

Registered
4 Hayabusa dynoed today(see Coco's post on Y2K)Let me tell you guys about my bike.Mine dynoed at 162.8 horsepower.When you go the Coco's photopoint web site you will see 3 different dyno charts for me(Nick) on different dates.The first one is today's(1-15-00)bike has 4300 miles.The second one was when my bike had about 600 miles and it dynoed at 155 horsepower.The third and last was at 1200 miles and it dynoed at 157.So from break in I have gained about 8 horsepower.The progression of horsepower has been steady and true.My plans are to get to 175 horsepower with the Akropovic,BMC and Power Commander,13 horsepower.I'm not doing the airbox mod,I really dont feel it's necessary for my bike,if you check todays dyno chart you can see that my bike is a little lean at top.Jeff(the dyno operator)and I agreed not to mess with it until I start my mods.

What break in technique did you use? What do you attribute the 8hp increase to? Are you using synthetic? When did you first put it in? How does it feel to have the most powerful stock busa in existence?

I'm using the Regular Api SJ Suzuki oil for right now.I'll switch to synthetic when I get the clutch Modification.I did the recommended breakin until 600 miles when I dynoed it the first time.After that I rode it just like any other bike.One thing that I do when I get a new bike is change te oil at 100 miles.To have 162.8 horsepower from a Stock Hayabusa shows that the bike is right on the money as far as what was reported by the Magazines.The bike is a little lean.I rode today and the exhaust was popping on deceleration so I could get a little more horsepower with remapping.My plans are to get it to 175 horsepower with an Akrapovic,BMC filter,Power Commander and Yosh stage one cams.From 162 to 175 is only 13 horsepower and those parts should put me well over the 175 horsepower mark but I dont want to be overly optimistic.

Gixxer1300R,
"The bike is a little lean.I rode today and the exhaust was popping on deceleration so I could get a little more horsepower with remapping"

It's great your bike is making more power than the average Busa.I would be surprised if you made any more power by remapping as you sound like you are very close to an optimum fuel curve.Most motors make the most power when they are on the lean side and we know what happens,longterm, when they are run like this.If it were my bike,I would sacrifice a couple of horsepower and richen it up to get rid of the popping to be on the safe side.
When a bike is put on a dyno,do they give you readings for A/F ratio? If they do,what are they stock? What A/F ratios are tuners trying to achieve?
For comparison,the ECM on factory camaros and corvettes are programmed for an A/F ratio of 14:1 which is extremely safe.When I race(cars)I use a very expensive($10000) Horiba A/F ratio meter lent to me by a friend.It takes readings off the oxygen sensor and you remap or make jet changes accordingly.At the end of a pass,just before lifting off the throttle,readings were taken.We would shoot for a 12.5:1 A/F ratio which was a good compromise between rich/ lean and making maximum power.We would go a little quicker with readings just under 12:1 but we wanted the motor to last.At this point,the engine would
pop upon getting out of the gas.
This is just food for thought,Gixxer.I don't want to see anyone hurt their motor in the long run.Another question I have is about the aftermarket boxes you use. Do they allow you to recurve your ignition timing or is this something that will come down the road?Thanks for any info.

The Dyno operator and I decided not to remap until I start my Modifications.I run Amoco Premium in my bike.For a long time I debated on whether or not to do the Airbox mod and decided against it.I really dont think I'll need it with my bike putting out that kind of power.I checked my Stock air filter and it's starting to get a little clogged so I guess I'll be a BMC filter first.That should be good for 3 horsepower to get me to 165 horsepower.

Some Dynos dont give A/F ratios by reading the exhaust.When you do an all gear run,A good Dyno operator can look at the graph and tell if the bike is running rich or lean.

DynoJet also said that the first Hayabusa they dynoed gained about 8 hp during breakin on the Dyno from loading the motor repeatedly.

Hey Bob,I didnt break my motor in on the dyno.For the first 600 miles I followed the recomended break in procedure,Dynoed it once at 600 miles.

Back