2nd Gear problems

2nd Gear problems - How many of us with busa have had it?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 177 100.0%

• Total voters

Haya01B

Registered
I am curious now to see how many of us are having this problem with 2nd gear going out. I wonder if they even fixed it for 08. If not I wont be getting one. If the numbers come out high I will contact Suzuki myself.
rock.gif

Mine just went out at 7800 miles on my '05. Sent it off to Fast By Gast.
Should be just 10 times better than new when I get it back.

Jeff

Busa's don't have a second gear problem you just need to shift harder. Or you could go with a GP shift and that might solve your problem because you are shifting down instead of up like a regular shift

Busa's don't have a second gear problem you just need to shift harder.  Or you could go with a GP shift and that might solve your problem because you are shifting down instead of up like a regular shift
I agree there is no problem with the busa tranny.

I lost my second after thousands of WOT runs and 16k miles with a 50 shot of NOS. I also lost sixth before I lost second, and second still only slips when I spray - when I don't spray it's fine.

That said - I bent my shift forks by hitting my airshifter when the bike wasn't running -
sadnews.gif
that's why I lost the gears I did (2nd and 6th share a fork) - lesson learned.

Yes if you are running Spray and a bunch of HP mods then yes you need to beef up the tranny a bit more than stock provides. Just look at all the race cars and high preformance toys out there when they increase HP chances are they put a tranny in the toy that can handle the HP instead of leaving the stock tranny in it that is only designed to handle the HP of a stock motor.

Mine is gone which is why this winter it gets fixed and a 1397 w/stg 2 web cams goes in it at well. Adding billet shift shafts too.

06 13K miles.No problem at all. But i don't abuss her. Synth Mobil 1 15w50 and its smooth as silk. You lost it completely?
bump.gif

Just about all my riding [Buddys] have lost 2nd gear. I still clutch shift 2nd then power/speed shift the rest.

Not saying that I didn't do it, but I have been on a Gixxer of some sort since 1986. I don't recall missing a shift that bad. I may have, but I believe there are too many 2nd gear failures to chalk it up 100% to bad shifting.

Don

'05, 39,000 miles. Multiple trips to the dragon. Trip to the track. Missed 1st to 2nd several times. Just starting to notice a problem shifting into second. But I can't fault Suzuki if it goes. I ride the snot out of my bike and she just keeps asking for more.

Hey think of it this way. If you had a corvette, mustang, camaro, charger or any other high performance vehicle and the tranny went out like that what would you say then? I can't see it happening this often. I belive Kaw fixed their problem because the ZX11 had the problem when it was out. I have'nt heard of a ZX14 losing 2nd yet and they run the crap out of them. I'm just saying it is begining to look like the old Dodge Ram deal.

Ok. When my tranny went out I sent it out to have it back-cut. I asked the machinist what he thought about the tranny and he said every gear was already back-cut except for 2nd. Why???

02 busa 12549 miles no problems what so ever..sold it , still going strong is what i hear and my new 08 is on its way home.
guns.gif

Mine gave me problems when I started running at the track. I shift clutchless through every gear and I think that's what caused it. I didn't miss a shift, I just didn't use the clutch from 1st to 2nd. My third time going there (probably my 15th pass total) is when it began jumpimg out of gear. It was okay for regular street riding, but would jump out under hard acceleration.

BUT ... my gear wasn't the problem. It was my shift fork. I didn't find that out until AFTER I had my undercut one installed. I still have my stock one which I'll get undercut and keep as a backup.

Ok.  When my tranny went out I sent it out to have it back-cut.  I asked the machinist what he thought about the tranny and he said every gear was already back-cut except for 2nd. Why???
Because back cutting a gear weakens it. The first to second shift is generally the most brutal, especially when not using the clutch. Suzuki engineered it for strength.

Back