2nd gear prob at track

sully

Donating Member
Registered
Please help, while at the track last week my bike started kicking 2nd gear back into neutral. As soon as I shift into 2nd and hit WOT it gets kicked back. Only happened twice but it has me worried about a more serious problem. Has this happened to anyone else? Bike is an 03 AE, Yosh RS3 4 into 1, PCIIIUSB, Air box mod, TRE, 16/42, lowered 1 in front 2 in rear, and only has 3700 miles on it. Could this be caused by a chain that is too tight or just a bent shift fork? Thanks all.

Bent shift fork followed by rounded gear dogs. Have the gears undercut while you have it apart.
wink.gif

Sounds like you may be short shifting not putting enough force on the shift lever...If you gear was going out it would be slipping but it would stay in gear...

its typical of stock trans... still happens to me sometimes.

adjust your shift lever down a bit further so your foot applies more force. Took care of my problem when it was happening to me (in 2nd and 3rd gear).

Or you could get an air or electric shifter.... they typically have plenty of shifting force to prevent neutral slips.

Thanks for the info, can one of you post instructions on how to lower the shift lever, sounds easy enough to do but would hate to mess up something by not asking. On the topic of air shifters, has anyone tried the electric over aire auto shifter by MPS? looks like a great setup for around 5 bills.

Electric over air is the only way to go...MPS is a good system...At the bottom of the shift lever there is a screw that you need to remove then separate the piece slightly so it will slide off...Then just turn it until it's where you think it will be comfortable for your foot...You may need to adjust it a couple of times...Don't forget to put the screw/bolt back in...

Just adjust your shift rod down. Loosen the nuts on either end of the rod and then spin the rod. It will move your lever either up or down. Measure it before you move it.

Back