2nd gear issues and only in 2nd gear it does it.

FILT166

Registered
My friend bought this used bike and this problem only happens in second gear. It will not happen in 1 3 4 5 or 6th gear only 2nd. When you have it in second gear and give it some gas it starts to jerk as if the chain is skipping. It only does it when it is under a load. I could be doing 20 30 40 or any speed in 2nd and give it some throttle and its seems to start jerking. It is not the chain though. It does not pop out of gear at all, it stays in gear but surges. Any idea what it could be so we can fix this bike. It is an 02 Busa with 28k miles on it. Could it be something in the tranny and if so what?

Sucks to be your friend.
sad.gif
Odds are the 2nd gear dogs are shot. Time to drop the engine and split the cases. I hope he got a great deal on it because the repair won't be cheap.

Mine was doing the same thing and the above is correct, 2nd and 6th will need to b replaced. I would go ahead and replace all of the shift forks, shift shaft and shift drum as well.

And since the motor has to come apart, what better time for more mods.......

Mine was doing the same thing and the above is correct, 2nd and 6th will need to b replaced. I would go ahead and replace all of the shift forks, shift shaft and shift drum as well.

And since the motor has to come apart, what better time for more mods.......
yep.. 2nd gear needs to be replaced, as everyone has said. Don't skimp on replacing things while your in there and you shouldn't have any problem.

crap. believe that mine is doing the same. first time it happened it felt like the chain skipped a tooth or something. obviously it doesn't happen when i am on a distance ride.

anyone care to ballpark the parts cost?

didn't realize i was as hard on second gear as i apparently am. what are some ways to keep it from happening again?

Back