2nd gear issue only no other gear

FILT166

Registered
My friend bought this used bike and this problem only happens in second gear. It will not happen in 1 3 4 5 or 6th gear only 2nd. When you have it in second gear and give it some gas it starts to jerk as if the chain is skipping. It only does it when it is under a load. I could be doing 20 30 40 or any speed in 2nd and give it some throttle and its seems to start jerking. It is not the chain though. It does not pop out of gear at all, it stays in gear but surges. Any idea what it could be so we can fix this bike. It is an 02 Busa with 28k miles on it. Could it be something in the tranny and if so what?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it isn't the chain? Have you changed the chain and sprockets yet? Have they ever been changed? Have you kept it (the chain)adusted? I ask, because if you are skipping under load, it could be that the chain tension is good but the teeth on your front sprocket are worn causing the chain to bounce. An easy check would be to remove the left lower fairing, move the coolant overflow reservoir and then remove the sprocket cover... if any of the teeth look at all like shark fins - you have found the culprit! Change that sucka baby!

It is not my bike and the owner before did 2nd gear wheelies on this bike all the time. Hey johnny how much are the parts and what would it take to repair?

<!--EDIT|FILT166
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156219632 -->

Johnny you have a number I could call you at, pm me? I am in south TX and I may want to do some tuning or/and go turbo. Just need some info from you. I will tell my friend the price for the parts, well see what he wants to do.

Trust me its the tranny,it gonna need a full rebuild I know becuase mine was doing the same thing,and NO Suzuki will not fix it for you, be prepaired to spend at least $1,200.00 to get it fixed..Thats what I spent and thats me pulling the engine out and giving it to a shop..I had the trans  gears undercut and the trans worked killer after that..

I had same problem 2nd gear 8-10,000 rpm it acted like something was disengaging & reengaging turned out to be the rear hub shock absorbers. they are the triangle shape rubber groumets in your rear wheel on the sprocket side it should be 0 movement when you check your rear sprocket for end play.

I currently have the same problem in 6th gear. Really dissapointed in the fact that this happens a lot. I would think Suzuki would have made a stronger transmission for such a big bore bike.

(fat-rat @ Sep. 16 2006,20:15) I had same problem 2nd gear 8-10,000 rpm it acted like something was disengaging & reengaging turned out to be the rear hub shock absorbers. they are the triangle shape rubber groumets in your rear wheel on the sprocket side it should be 0 movement when you check your rear sprocket for end play.
Don't quite understand how the cush rubbers know what gear you're in. Maybe it's a matter of hitting them just right???

I just had my hub off at 8k and noticed some play. It did not fit near as tight as it did at 4k when I changed the rear tire.
Noticeable slop by hand = very noticeable under load.

It would be nice to fix this issue, many people are having it. OK everyone gets a new second gear ha ha. I would like mine fixed that is for sure!
super.gif

Back