240 mph busa

rccola

Registered
I ride a slightly modified busa (pc11, modified clutch,etc.) but I am always intrigued by those busa enthusiats who put on turbos. If you fellas have the opportunity to read FAST BIKE a british mag. On this month's cover there is advertised a holeshot busa capable of 240 with 311hp. It compared it's performance to a stock busa. I thought it was a nicely done article. It cites the pros and cons of each bike. Also there is a sweet babe shots. Thank God for the Brits. Furtehrmore it gives the specific mods to the stock busa with price. This guy is willing to do anybodies bike.

Just curious, what were some of the "cons"?
Being able to hold on?
laugh.gif

i am curiuos too. please respond on the pro's and con's

The con's of the turbo were controlling the bike in curves. There was a tendency for instability trying to keep the turbo from kicking on( under 5000 rpm). At low revs the bike did not run properly according to the article. the brakes on the busa are not good enough to decelerate adequately. The turbo tears up tires, fuel and drive up you premium. Although you may close the throttle that turbine is still delivering power for a short time. you have to be cognizant of the distance available to stop. the guys said they almost SH&T their pants a couple of times. Above all where can you let the beast out.

However, the turbo blew away the stock after 3rd gear. the only issue was trying to keep the front wheel down and the rear wheel from spinning away. The rider on the stock said even at redline the holeshot was pulling steadily away.

Here are some specs. No nitros. standing quarter in 8.8 seconds. flying quarter in 3.8 seconds. the mechanic is the first person to beat a 4 second flying quarter. top speed 241mph. most passenger airplanes take off at 200 mph. this guy is covering at top speed 4 miles per minute. The downside is your ability to break. They quote a study saying an avg rider at 70 mph covers 21 meters before he breaks. If you extrapolate that figure you will cover a football pitch (I quess field to brits) before breaking. not enough time to avoid a rabbit.

Ultimately these guys crashed the turbo, ugly site.

Sorry it took me a while to return the post. I had to spend time with the family.

I tried to find a way to scan and attach some specs but the file is too big. There is a modificatons list in the article with prices and a plot of the hp and torque of the two bikes I can email.

The con's of the turbo were controlling the bike in curves. There was a tendency for instability trying to keep the turbo from kicking on( under 5000 rpm). At low revs the bike did not run properly according to the article. the brakes on the busa are not good enough to decelerate adequately. The turbo tears up tires, fuel and drive up you premium. Although you may close the throttle that turbine is still delivering power for a short time. you have to be cognizant of the distance available to stop. the guys said they almost SH&T their pants a couple of times. Above all where can you let the beast out.

However, the turbo blew away the stock  after 3rd gear. the only issue was trying to keep the front wheel down and the rear wheel from spinning away. The rider on the stock said even at redline the holeshot was pulling steadily away.

Here are some specs. No nitros. standing quarter in 8.8 seconds. flying quarter in 3.8 seconds. the mechanic is the first person to beat a 4 second flying quarter. top speed 241mph. most passenger airplanes take off at 200 mph. this guy is covering at top speed 4 miles per minute. The downside is your ability to break. They quote a study saying an avg rider at 70 mph covers 21 meters before he breaks. If you extrapolate that figure  you will cover a football pitch (I quess field to brits) before breaking. not enough time to avoid a rabbit.

Ultimately these guys crashed the turbo, ugly site.

Sorry it took me a while to return the post. I had to spend time with the family.

I tried to find a way to scan and attach some specs but the file is too big. There is a modificatons list in the article with prices and a plot of the hp and torque of the two bikes I can email.
Having 310hp I can speak to some of this,

Not totally true ,if the bike is set up to spool in early 5's instead of 7000rpm it will corner very nice. The problem is when you lower are stretch the bike out.

Busa stopes very well from 200mph down.

It takes a lot of practice to keep the bike down, but you have to get use to not slamming it because you more then make up the ground.

With the right gearing you could hit 240mph on pavement, but it would be very hard on the Turbo, maybe even burning up the engine. You would need gearing about 20/38. This would keep the Turbo runing far to long and I still don't think it would make it. I can go well into 200's and have with 18'/40 which would get about 212mph on gps

19/40 would get you about 228mph.

Just some input.
biggrin.gif

the one thing these guys did was replace the swing arm with a stiffer version to compensate for the torque and add stability. They notice with previous turbos the power would cause the bike to steer sideways. this swingarm is not extended but it is 'beefy'. Did any of you fellas modify your swingarm? There are probably some important details I have not mentoned to clarify the picture. I am going to try to put up the list of mods to view again

here is a list of mods with prices in enlish pounds.

hayabusa                                                         8299
intercooler                                                         500
airbox w/injectors                                               400
fuel pump and regulator                                       120
air hose                                                              60
oil cooler hose                                                     50
vacuum and fuel hose                                           20
boost guage w/ bracket                                        60
Akrapovic big bor silencer inc carbon
loop bracket                                                      300
mod mitsibushi turbo with adj wastegate/
blowvalve/short exhaust                                      750