240 kit questions

Iowadiver

Registered
I'm planning on going from my extended arm to a 240 kit/arm... besides the extended front rotor, new wheels/tires, etc... what else might one need to do to complete this project that is different from a regular extened arm project? Any pointers/pros/cons? Any feedback from anyone who has done this on an 08' or previous model would be great.

-Matt

Extended front rotor?
rock.gif
? WHAT? Since you are already extended, going to extended 240 kit should not be any big deal. You have the brake line and chain.

yeah... whoops... sorry wrong word... i did mean the extended sprocket for the front. I have heard things such as wearing out bearrings with this sort of mod... this is a high mile bike... i ride a lot, but I really like the look of the fat tire setup and so far have loved the stretch job I put on. I'm going to bring the tire a bit closer to the front.... probably 6-8" over stock with a 240 kit. Also... as always, it all comes down to cost... this is a much bigger investment due to having to get new wheels. I really don't want a "bling bling" bike and don't have a desire for fancy wheels... anybody know of a place I can get some standard/basic looking wheels to accomodate this mod? I don't feel like spending a couple thousand just for wheels.

check with allthinschrome.net...  they have 240 300 330 wheels that look like your oem front...  then all you have to do it get your front chromed or exchanged.

Dude... you are going to have to spend some money on wheels... it requires an 18x8.5 inch wheel, brake line, Zx12 Sprocket, brake hanger ( to fill the gap betweeh wheel and new swingarm)

u can do it , half assed and get JUST a rear wheel to fit, but its not going to look right.

If you REALLY want to do it... save up and wait. the finished product is SWEEEEET, but its not for the light of pockets....

Dude... you are going to have to spend some money on wheels... it requires an 18x8.5 inch wheel, brake line, Zx12 Sprocket, brake hanger ( to fill the gap betweeh wheel and new swingarm)

u can do it , half assed and get JUST a rear wheel to fit, but its not going to look right.

If you REALLY want to do it... save up and wait. the finished product is SWEEEEET, but its not for the light of pockets....
Where to start. Going 240 from stretched stocker: need just kit and to grind the frame. Kit= front OFF-SET sprocket ( not extended )
laugh.gif
, arm, wheel, and tire. All eles should be fine: rear sprocket, brake hanger, and brake line. You can do the widening of the stock wheel. Do a search I last week some where a guy was doing his stocker..there are places that do that and it would be budget work compaired to getting RC or aftermarket wheels.

300+ kits from stetched stocker: arm, wheel and tire, and chains x2. For hi miles and everyday rider. The 300+ kits have more maintenance due to the two chains. Here is a pic of my 330. See the dual chains of the JACKSHAFT.

post_11_43398_DSCN1142.jpg

NOTORIOUS... Give us an update on yours
sadnews.gif

I have talked to a couple resellers and despite what they show for a kit, when you call them they both said there is no offset front sprocket yet for the 08 and grinding is required on the sprocket guard. they are saying you need to put the front sprocket washer on the inside. I want to validate this and NOTORIOUS would know if he's keeping an eye on what they are doing.

sorry about my terminology... couldn't think of the "off set" phrase.... I take it "grinding" the sprocket cover just entails taking a circular grinder and shaving out the inside of that cover to accomodate the room taken up by the off set sprocket. I'm not sure if anyone is offically making an off set sprocket to accomodate the 08', but I was looking at "trac arms" and they do have 08' kits, which I would think accomodate the sprocket needed.... this is the arm I am leaning towards "240 elite". I don't want to get into the double chain setup, just want to go a step fatter than where i'm at now. I'd like to do the stock modified wheel for now to complete the kit and then throw on some aftermarket wheels when the cash flows in. Is this a bad idea? I'm not really into the "fancy/bling" look... my bike is black and orange and I powdercoat everything aftermarket satin or gloss black.... so a stock type wheel is fine for me as long as there isn't a performance or safety issue.

UPDATE....

you do not need an "actual" offset sprocket, all you do is move the location of the washer, as High-Gain mentioned. that aligns it to the rear sprocket. you will have to do a little "very little" grinding on the frame.. ( keep some flat black spraypaint to cover the grind..

FYI. I went with the 240 because with this stretch and size tire, the bike is still rideable, and I can still corner, not like on stock... but u wont lose me..

my bike is just about ready... our friends over at trac dynamics did not send me a brake hanger adapter, so i had to get them to send me another. should have it today and some pics should be available by friday.
beerchug.gif

if u do want to widen your stock wheel....

call these people... ( the owner has a busa himself)

tell him nick from texas sent ya.

http://www.kosman.net/weldup.htm

PS... one more thing... if u do go aftermarket, check out performance machine before RC component wheels.. the PM wheels are way lighter.

great info guys...i'm very glad I started this thread... which trac arm are you going with? I'm anxious to see pics... i'm about ready to place my order, I just want to finalize a few details before dropping the cash. What type of wheel are you going to use? Did you get the kit from Trac? If the kit comes with the off set sprocket, should I just use that to save the hassel or what? Any pointers from a now vet would be great. Thanks again all!

-Matt

also... brakes... what did you do for your brake setup? did you stay stock or after market? I'm not appose to getting a new setup, but if they will supply parts to stay stock for now, I will.

and one other question (sorry...i'm researching in several diffferent places and hearing about some possible road blocks to work through on this mod) what exhaust are you running? Anything that is long and sticks up like a stock setup or similar aftermarket? I have a set of 2bros slip ons and some other guys were saying they have issues with the fat tire kits hitting the exhast pipes...

have i asked enough questions yet? did you do the weldup job on your stock wheel or go after market? I'm debating the cost... seems like a weld up job would save me around $1000... curious to know what size do you go with if you did this option.

If you click on my name and see "threads started by Notorious" you will see my arm as well as my wheels.

I did not go witht the weldup job, and the weld up job will save you more than 1000, closer to 2000.

the Trac arm comes with a brake "holder" and I am using SS brake lines. I am using an M4 full exhasut ( they used my bike for the prototype, u can see it on the M4 website before the stretch)

Back