240 kit or just put a Shinko on the rear.

zx9r

Registered
I wanted to see what most of you think. My buddy has an 09 busa and has already lowered it. He likes to race his bike. He's about to buy some new wheels but not sure wether to do the 240 conversion kit or just buy the wheels and put a Shinko on the rear. We were just in Daytona for the weekend and all the 240 setups appeared to just spin and not hook up and i know that is adding some unsprung weight. So please let me know if the 240 is nothing but looks. Also any input with positive feedback on wheels that u currently have would be helpful to. Thanks:thumbsup:

A 240 is mostly, if not completly for looks. The added weight will off set any traction you may gain from it. Sure does look cool tho:whistle:

3 - 6 is the most he wants to extend it. We were just wondering if the 240 put more rubber on the road to keep it from spinning.

I think the 240 puts a marginal amount of rubber on the road over the 190. Look for the tire with the least amount of curve to it. Some tires are really flat compared to others. Each tire has it's own unique curvature that works for and against you.....the flatter the profile = good for racing, bad for curves, more oval shaped the profile = good for curves, bad for racing.

When it comes to MC tires we just don't have a huge contact patch. Leaned over has a larger contact patch than when riding straight up. Has he thought about a drag tire and just purchase a new rim that he could change out to street after the races?

Like this...http://www.tobefast.com/mickey-thompson-190-50vr17-dra-pr-356.html
Those are FLAT!!

Last edited:
use a small drag radial for a sport compact. you won't turn for crap, but i'll bet you'll hook like a mofo.

Go with the 240 and you will not be disappointed. It will look good. Just don't go past a 6 inch swingarm. :thumbsup:

Wait till big rob stops in, I think he can get it to hook just settings....

Did you mean Big ROD? Im hear. A 240 vs 200...will put about the same contact patch on the ground...untill you start letting air OUT of it. I have seen a 240 shinko...that would make a big diff at the track. I wish they made a 330 shinko:laugh:..Im going to need that after this TURBO install.

More than 6+ inches is a waste? depends on who your asking...she will tell you diff:rofl: A 6 stretch is about perfrect at the track. Im 9 over / air ride / and a hard AVON 330...makes my hooking at the track hit or miss everytime.

O- and if you friends bike is a track bike....you can hook fine on a 200 shinko at the track, but if its also a street bike...BE DIFF and make good things happen with it.............he will stand out and impress those that stay with the main frame only one way to do things thinkers:rofl:

check for air pressure, a 200 shinko will do it fine...also settings in the back...gotta let it squat a bit..... make sure also he is lining up on an area which has all the rubber residue laid out on it, and not dead center on the lane....thats where all the crap is, that will help to hook up also....240 will work but you got to have it really dialed in...but you get the weight with it

Last edited:
Back