24 volt system charging

mrnyc01

Registered
Hi

I am going to do the 24 volt system mod. I have seen one with the battery tender hook-up on the second battery. I also read here that because of the way it's wired, if you charge the main batt on the tender, the second batt will not charge..so my question is do I have to charge both on the tender or just the second batt? Also is there a requirement on the second batt cca's?

I searched but could not find an answer yet...

Thanks!!!

laugh.gif

you need to charge the second battery with a tender. The bikes charging system only sees the first battery. As far as CCA's for the second battery it's not a big deal. I use a small YTX5L-BS as my secondary battery. You're relying on the 24v to spin the starter faster but it actualy does this with a little less force (lower amps).

The new hook up instructions allow both batteries to charged from the bikes charging system. (toggle down I think)!

you need to charge the second battery with a tender. The bikes charging system only sees the first battery. As far as CCA's for the second battery it's not a big deal. I use a small YTX5L-BS as my secondary battery. You're relying on the 24v to spin the starter faster but it actualy does this with a little less force (lower amps).

Yes, I've changed my setup so that I can switch between 24v start and then dual run/charge system. :beerchug:

Huh? A DC brushed motor makes full torque at stall. Torque on a DC motor is determined by current (amps), not volts.

Ok, if you up the voltage, the motor will draw more current and will produce more torque, but the battery will have to be able to supply the current. If you wire a small battery in series with the standard battery (24 volts) and the small battery can't deliver the current, you will be limiting current to the starter motor and should be worse off instead of better.

Wiring two batteries in parallel (12v system) will increase the capacity of the system (CCA) and let the system supply more current (amps) to the motor, which should have a beneficial effect if the main battery is weak.

And if you all think I am full of it, please point me to a good link on this mod so I can get educated.

Last edited:
nice product but $215.00 :moon: cmon!
you might be able to build one cheaper but it has to meet the criteria..

on "start" batteries go into "series" to produce the 24V
on release batteries go into "parallel" to charge..

you do need a relay capable of the amp draw during start up however.. (the $$ part of this project)

makes little sense to just create a 24V starting system that does not charge both batteries..(it would be very easy to do but totally dependent on operator to charge second battery) If you do a "manual" charge setup, I bet you can do this for pretty low $$ say the price of a starter relay..

I would have to look at a schematic but you also need to make sure you do not feed 24v to any of the electrical system (especially the ECU's)

Last edited:
yea, I have a manual switch. I just can't see the justification for an "auto switch" to be so much more. Just my opinion...

nice product but $215.00 :moon: cmon!

I second this motion!! Is there anyone out here making this for price + a lil for the effort? If I would have known that I have to charge both batteries separtely..excuse spelling, I probably would have re-thought this mod!!!!

Back