230 to 250 in a mile how much more power needed

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
Getting the bike ready for Maxton next month wondering if we have the power to gain 20 MPH with everything functioning as it should, intercooled and all. How much more power should it take less a head wind of course. ??? We used maybe 360-380 to go 232.00...any experts out there. Gearing 19/32... only have one event to compare notes from....

Last edited:
Dean hooked me up with a power needed EXCEL sheet, shows we need 100 more HP... ???

Case #1 Case #2 Case #3
For A Speed of ====> 232 MPH 232 MPH 232 MPH
We know it took this much HP ====> 393 HP 393 HP 393 HP
New Speed Desired ====> 240 MPH 250 MPH 260 MPH

New Required Hp for New Speed ====> 435 HP 492 HP 553 HP​

Last edited:
what do you already have dne 2 bike? With my limited knowledge you will need lots of work to gain that extra (almost)60hp needed
Posted via Mobile Device

what do you already have dne 2 bike? With my limited knowledge you will need lots of work to gain that extra (almost)60hp needed
Posted via Mobile Device

Carrillo Rods
Turbo Pistons
HD Valve Springs
Custom Cams
Intercooled
Garret GT35R
APE Studs
550 Injectors
3 Bar Map Sensor
Also a 60-80 shot of NOS...would rather not use it...
Makes about 13.5 HP per PSI of boost looking like 27 should get 500 over engine power....

Still learning

Last edited:
I've been away from these boards for a long time now, so it was nice to see a familiar name. From the looks of this post, it sounds like HPC has only become more "hyper" since I saw you last. Good luck in your quest to tame physics and math. My huevos stop at 300HP... I can't imagine the thrust beyond that.

On the ZX14 you will need 460-480 hp with everything being normal and a small-medium sized rider, it may take more however with pinning the gears, good aero, traction, decent air and conditions 250 is reachable however you would need al things to fall in to place. You would want to gear the bike for only 3-5% over the desired top speed you are seeking as if the bike is geared too high you will need a longer distance to achieve the same top speed however then you may not have the HP to pull the top speed gearing if you are over geared.

I have been 232 in the dirt with 380 rear wheel (when the HP was measured at sea level and the race was at 2,700' so even less actual HP was used.

Good luck and run a great number.:beerchug:

J

On the ZX14 you will need 460-480 hp with everything being normal and a small-medium sized rider, it may take more however with pinning the gears, good aero, traction, decent air and conditions 250 is reachable however you would need al things to fall in to place. You would want to gear the bike for only 3-5% over the desired top speed you are seeking as if the bike is geared too high you will need a longer distance to achieve the same top speed however then you may not have the HP to pull the top speed gearing if you are over geared.

I have been 232 in the dirt with 380 rear wheel (when the HP was measured at sea level and the race was at 2,700' so even less actual HP was used.

Good luck and run a great number.:beerchug:

J

Thanks Sir...the aeros of the 14 are not like the busa...wind tunnel testing shows that. Was thinking we would need more power to overcome that. 250 is the goal for this year. Maybe a set of Busa skins might help.

Last edited:
I've been away from these boards for a long time now, so it was nice to see a familiar name. From the looks of this post, it sounds like HPC has only become more "hyper" since I saw you last. Good luck in your quest to tame physics and math. My huevos stop at 300HP... I can't imagine the thrust beyond that.
Hey man LTNS...

If we can go 250 with this 14 we will build a turbo busa this fall for now the NOS busa should be fun... :beerchug:

Thanks Sir...the aeros of the 14 are not like the busa...wind tunnel testing shows that. Was thinking we would need more power to overcome that. 250 is the goal for this year. Maybe a set of Busa skins might help.
Am not sure what that would look like but could tell you this for sure it'll be truely one of a kind

Nice to finally meet you.
as for power BABY STEPS
remember the goal is motor to come back running not a MPH posted.
Grasshopper, you owe Dean a big Thanks.

PS all my LSR motors and tunes are experiments that is the only way one learns

Nice to finally meet you.
as for power BABY STEPS
remember the goal is motor to come back running not a MPH posted.
Grasshopper, you owe Dean a big Thanks.

PS all my LSR motors and tunes are experiments that is the only way one learns

Same here Johnny, and this turbo stuff is very interesting and I think we finally have the right combination for this bike figured out. We will see. From what I hear gaining 20 MPH in one race is not an easy task so the challenge is motivating.

We gained a ton of support and that is alway important.

I agree on the durability first. Dean did an outstanding job in ONLY (5) passes, three of which were useless. I sent him a token of our apprieciation for his help.

I think we may work together again shortly. I should have had that boost leak issue resolved and I dropped the ball working on too many projects at once. Deciding last minute I was going was not a good idea either. Won't happen again.

:beerchug:

Greg,
I have multiple excell spreadsheets I've put together for Accelleration, Drag, and Rolling Resistance for the Hayabusa and ZX14. I didn't know what Tire size, final gear ratio, or trap RPM you are planning, but the following guestimate is pretty accurate. I can more accurately update the items in red if you provide more information. PM me your email if you want the spreadsheets.

Drag Force is calculated as : Fd = .5 Cd*A*p*V^2 where:
Cd (drag coefficient) 0.57 unitless highly dependent on rider position
A (frontal Area) 6.1 ft^2 highly dependent on ride hight and rider position
CdA = Cd*A 3.48 Bit of a guestimate based on Hayabusa wind tunnel numbers
p (Fluid density) 0.075 lb/ft^3
V (velocity) 250 mph
V (velocity) 366.7 ft/sec^2

And just to make everything complicated, you have to divide by gravity (32ft/sec^2)

Drag force = 547.8 lbF
Tire Roll Out 77 in.
Tire Radius 1.02 Ft.
ZX14 Primary Ratio (94/61) 1.541
ZX14 6th Gear Ratio (29/28) 1.036
Secondary Ratio 19/33 1.737
Torque Ratio=primary*secondary*6th 2.772
Engine Torque = wind resistance force * tire radius / total gear ratio
Engine Torque 201.8 Ft*lbs
Trap RPM 11000 RPM
Wind Drag Engine Horsepower = T*RPM/5252 =422.7 RW BHP

But Total required engine Power = Wind Resistance Power + Rolling Resistance Power + Acceleration Force Power.
Assume no acceleratioin and about 15 HP in rolling resistance / Wheel bearings.
Total Rear Wheel BHP 437.7 RW BHP

Last edited:
Greg,
I have multiple excell spreadsheets I've put together for Accelleration, Drag, and Rolling Resistance for the Hayabusa and ZX14. I didn't know what Tire size, final gear ratio, or trap RPM you are planning, but the following guestimate is pretty accurate. I can more accurately update the items in red if you provide more information. PM me your email if you want the spreadsheets.

Drag Force is calculated as : Fd = .5 Cd*A*p*V^2 where:
Cd (drag coefficient) 0.57 unitless highly dependent on rider position
A (frontal Area) 6.1 ft^2 highly dependent on ride hight and rider position
CdA = Cd*A 3.48 Bit of a guestimate based on Hayabusa wind tunnel numbers
p (Fluid density) 0.075 lb/ft^3
V (velocity) 250 mph
V (velocity) 366.7 ft/sec^2

And just to make everything complicated, you have to divide by gravity (32ft/sec^2)

Drag force = 547.8 lbF
Tire Roll Out 77 in.
Tire Radius 1.02 Ft.
ZX14 Primary Ratio (94/61) 1.541
ZX14 6th Gear Ratio (29/28) 1.036
Secondary Ratio 19/33 1.737
Torque Ratio=primary*secondary*6th 2.772
Engine Torque = wind resistance force * tire radius / total gear ratio
Engine Torque 201.8 Ft*lbs
Trap RPM 11000 RPM
Wind Drag Engine Horsepower = T*RPM/5252 =422.7 RW BHP

But Total required engine Power = Wind Resistance Power + Rolling Resistance Power + Acceleration Force Power.
Assume no acceleratioin and about 15 HP in rolling resistance / Wheel bearings.
Total Rear Wheel BHP 437.7 RW BHP

Wow thanks a bunch, we were ear marking 450-480 which is really good in my book. Less wear and tear that way. Thanks for the extra work. :beerchug::beerchug: We were at 393 HP and 209 foot pounds of torque with 18 psi. So I really don't have to crank it up much more and we may get there or close with just the addition of a functional intercooler, less any boost leaks.

Back