230 to 250 in a mile how much more power needed

I'm thinking about running El Mirage dry lake. The first time out will be a stock Busa and work my way up through a few mods but staying in the production class. My goal is 204MPH.

I'm thinking about running El Mirage dry lake. The first time out will be a stock Busa and work my way up through a few mods but staying in the production class. My goal is 204MPH.
Cool..nothing but asphault for us.

Running a production based bike is cheap and easy. We sponsored a rider last year in the production class, think he has the fasest numbers on the salt to date Gen II Busa. I just want to put the first Kwack over 250. Thats a short term goal that will happen this year.

Last edited:
250 is an unbelievable speed. I hope you get it. Make sure to post your results.
To build the first sit on Kawasaki to get over that MPH would be really cool. Hopefully we have faith and perfect conditions on our side. I will keep you all posted.

If we do, this winter we will build something else. :whistle:

Greg,
I sent you a working spreadsheet. The gear ratio I had posted this morning was completely wrong. The spreadsheet was recomending something more like an 18/34 as a starting point for you to hit 250.

Greg,
I sent you a working spreadsheet. The gear ratio I had posted this morning was completely wrong. The spreadsheet was recomending something more like an 18/34 as a starting point for you to hit 250.
I got it sir thank you for all the help. I will certainly give credit to you guys if we can pull this off. Ordered $3500 in parts today.

Now a big question....who has pushed a Garret GT35R .70 to its upper boost limits assuming the motor is ready, can we make 35 psi or what is the best sustained boost numbers you have seen with this turbo. I am not against going bigger while I have the time. :beerchug:

Its looking like this Garret GT35R is only good for 550. May look at a GT40R or a Turbonetics. :poke:

GPW,

Where are you getting your information from, if you do get a larger turbo you have 3-4 great options.

Engine efficiency, head flow numbers, inlet temps at the throttle bodies, exhaust runner length, cam lift, valve diameters, runner volume, ambient air temp, corrected air, and several other factors have to be taken in to account.

I know a bad tune on a 35R had made 580 hp..Seb made 630 on his dyno..yes the turbo is really working however depending on many factors (also engine size) you can make more with less..higher compression and methanol will allow you to ditch the intercooler and run inlet temps under 100 degrees for your one mile time trial..

GL with whatever you choose.:thumbsup:

John

GPW,

Where are you getting your information from, if you do get a larger turbo you have 3-4 great options.

Engine efficiency, head flow numbers, inlet temps at the throttle bodies, exhaust runner length, cam lift, valve diameters, runner volume, ambient air temp, corrected air, and several other factors have to be taken in to account.

I know a bad tune on a 35R had made 580 hp..Seb made 630 on his dyno..yes the turbo is really working however depending on many factors (also engine size) you can make more with less..higher compression and methanol will allow you to ditch the intercooler and run inlet temps under 100 degrees for your one mile time trial..

GL with whatever you choose.:thumbsup:

John

Actully info is pouring in from everywhere and I am actually suprised at the support from die hard Busa guys. Says alot about real men. I am really not concerned about being under powered considering what the bike ran with only 18 psi and two serious air box boost leaks the result of o-ring gaskets being blown out.

I have a budget of $8000.00 to spend from a sponsor and I was instructed to spend all of it on the bike so I am looking at everything. I think I will leave the turbo and save the balance for whatever happens later. The motor I built two years ago and it appears to be doing well, street, drag strip and LSR. This is a complete custom turbo kit no parts were made by anyone outside our shop and its my first, hence the questions. Its much easier when you just bolt on someone else's kit. For now we will run the intercooler, thanks to some help from Dean it will be way more efficient at cooling.

This One Mile racing is getting very popular. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Does the bike have a BOV and wastegate?

Post some pictures of the kit and congrats on the runs at Loring.

John

I will post up pictures of the entire package sometime in November on our project bike website. The final parts list is not yet determined at this time. It has a BOV and wastegate. :beerchug: I know there were a few people crawling on the ground trying to see the kit at Loring...

Last edited:
Case #1 Case #2 Case #3
For A Speed of ====> 232 MPH 232 MPH 232 MPH
We know it took this much HP ====> 393 HP 393 HP 393 HP
New Speed Desired ====> 240 MPH 250 MPH 260 MPH

New Required Hp for New Speed ====> 435 HP 492 HP 553 HP​

These are Very good starting points!

Back