217.8 MPH new RECORD AT MAXTON

MET

The Watcher
Registered
This message is posted for Dave Owen in his words.....

PFirst off....Thanx to all who have helped out my team in any way.....including the BIEATCHHH who runs s.org...LOL

Thought you girls/guys might like some details on our Oct event.

I had freshened up the engine before the Sept event, and we went 211 and 213 in brutal heat/humidity...not good for an N/A bike.

The engine now had about 100 miles on it, and was broken in. We changed the oil and checked it over.

I picked up a carbon tank from GWIZZ(Glenn) off the board to save some weight. Big props to him for getting it out to me in time, great guy to do biz with....FYI my bike weighs 510, and I weigh 215 in gear....I decided it was easier to lose weight than gain power at this point....

On the trip down from Mass I stopped at a rest area in NJ. Upon leaving the rest area, the truck suddenly lost power, and would not run over 50-55mph(Dodge deisel)...and could not pull the trailer up the hills very well. Quick diagnosis revealed the transfer fuel pump was DOA....restricting fuel to the injector pump. Started calling Cummins dlrs from Baltimore heading south for a replacement....the ONLY dlr we found with one in stock was in North Carolina...and was closing in FIVE minutes...and we were in BALTIMORE....

Thinking quick, I asked the parts guy to bill my card, and put the pump outside somewhere.....He did...and we picked it up at 1am while limping to Maxton....Changed it at Maxton Friday afternoon and all is well...Big PROPS to the NC Cummins dealers!!!!!

First pass off the trailer on Sat...with a ~5 mph headwind...tucked in good, clean pass. When returning on the access road my wife is yelling/waving arms to get to impound....you just went 216.0xxx.....NICE!!!!

Second pass Sat.....left better...had some probs with wheelspin/cone and went 214.7. Back to the trailer to change some things...not enough time for another pass....off to dinner with Vincent and the Milhollands(great family!!)

Sunday....COOL...NO WIND....Lee goes 260 first pass...had been running 255-256 Sat in headwind....I got in line late am....try a diff tuck...and go 212.+......OK that didn't work.....

Next pass....changed tuck again...215.6+....Better.....

Third pass....tuck better...down for trap.....and sat up EARLY in trap...and went 213.xxxx....wow 213 off throttle in trap....it's rolling....

Last pass....forget logger/tuning/etc....Now it's time to JUST RIDE THE BIKE...the best I know how...Leave smooth, hit shift points...can feel tire squirming 2-4th for traction.....stay down for trap....shut off WAY LATE....know it's good pass by amount of speed to scrub for short shutdown...Figured at least 216.5 in my head....

On the return road first person I see is Guy...he's screaming at me giving me hand signals for speed,( no middle finger...LOL)...and lots of people running over to me screaming....217.8....VERY NICE!!!!! For an all motor 1507cc STREET BIKE WITH MY FAT AZZZ.....

Sorry for the long rant....we have worked many long hours to get here....literally. BTW....the logger on the 216 pass still shows a good amount of accel(Gmeter) .....so I KNOW there is more.....for another day.

Big thanx to Brock's, HMP, Tiger Racing, Pingel, EK, Larry McBride, J'E, Innovate, Orient, Catalyst, Jim Hansen, my crew, and EVERYONE for their help...and esp Dennis for the FREE turbo kit....LOL

Dave

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130941236 -->

<marquee><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW RECORD</marquee></span></span>

congrats
cool.gif

Congrats DAVE O!  Amazing work once again and thanks for sharing all the details!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131035925 -->

Mike, is this the same Dave that does entended Ecm's? Congrats to him!

Mike,

Thanx for posting this for me....and thanx for all the props guys/girls...

It wasn't easy....but a lot of fun!!!!

Dave

thats crazy, and on all motor. the guys on turbos at texas couldnt beat that. he must have a hell of a engine builder. whats n/a?

A friend of mine went 199+mph on his stock motor 12r at that event....

that's all I know.

Congrats on the run, Dave!!

DaveO- He was running those crappy K&N's... I told him if he had BMC Race filters... he would have broke 200mph. It also didn't help not knowing the PSI in the bottle...

I guess he'll have to wait till spring!

Back