20vs60 LED SwitchBack

RedFalco

Donating Member
Registered
One of my 20LED switchbacks went on the fritz last week. Went to order a replacement and seen a "NEW" 60 LED version for 5 moe bucks. So I bit like any curious sucker would and i bought two...lol.. These will turn the white leds OFF when the amber signal is activated. Always anoyed me with the others as they would illuminate the white leds between amber blinks, which to me, did not make the turn signals amber "flash" stand out as much.
Can't really pick up the brightness levels through pictures; but I can tell a differance when seeing my reflection in vehicles in front of me and activating the turn signal. (I can actually see the amber flash in my reflection of vehicle during the day)
They are a bit smaller too and makes for a "jiggle/scrapping" free install.
First pic is with the <<left side having the 20 LED in and the >>right side having the 60 LED in. Second pick, the same only with ambers on. 3rd is with both 60's in (same w/ video).
Gooood shtuff Maineard.

1led.jpg

2led.jpg

3led.jpg

4led.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0851.MOV
    14.4 MB · Views: 549
now those are bright! big difference over the 20's. how long did your switchbacks last before they burned out?

Had them about 2yrs or so. Just the one bulb had 2 LEDS (on the top of the bulb) that would flicker till they just went out. The rest of the bulb works as it should, but it just bothered me to no end that the one side had just two LEDs burnt out at the most visible area of the bulb.

Getting ready to get some switch backs while the bike is being painted. I see allot of people are asking for sockets to do this mod. It looks like the light just plugs in and replaces my stock light. Am I missing something? Why are the sockets needed?

Thanks.

You just plug em right? No need for extra sockets?
Did you put a delay on them. I kinda like the fast rate that I have do to the LED tail light.
Posted via Mobile Device

No you have to put in new sockets. The switchbacks are a different type of bulb and require to power wites and one ground. I wired my running (white) part of the switchback to the headlight accessory wire that is unused behind the dash.

DSC08035.jpg

DSC08037.jpg

I bought new sockets from autolumination.com and also got my switchbacks from them. Im sure you have to do the same with the turn signals

stock tail light sockets the way2go imo.. Good'n'tight fight,seal and lock just like the OEM socket you'll be removing when the conversion is made. rear turn signals won't work (two wire circuit (pwr&grnd)). As Mr.Russ stated... "two pwr wits and grnd is required" for switchbacks.
I did the "LED Flasher Mod" to correct for the rapid flash. I too, thought I liked the rapid pulse rate of the signals at first; lasted for about a month...lol... to each their own.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
did you get the AO or AW? i have the AO and like it much better than the AW sitchbacks, as far as the sockets, i can relate, as I have made a few of this for two friends and my two busas, I resorted to buying used taillights with sockets ( now I have three) and a pair of yellow front turn signal housings..lol. just so that I gould have the sockets.. I also have the female conectors that fit into the factory harness so it is a really plug and play kit for my friends...

REDKAT the AO is Amber on white off, while the turn signal is on, while AW the turnsignal switches back to white between amber flashes..:laugh:

Back