2020 Pashnit Touring

Snow levels vary greatly. A few years ago we had this:

DSC06802.jpg

DSC06804.jpg

DSC06808.jpg

Nice pics Tim, I was just up there on most of those roads. Nice clean surfaces mostly too! I have my YNP reservation starting July 6th so I’ll be heading up the Tioga. The ‘res’ cost a whopping $2 even though I have a lifetime pass. :laugh: Oh, can you recommend that motel? Is food nearby?

Beautiful pics! I want to pack up the Honda and come take one of your tours. Man I miss Cali :)

On the way home, checking out the US Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

Leavitt Meadows, pull up bars everywhere.

These pull up bars always remind me of my time in the Marine Corps and being stationed at Camp Pendleton for Combat Training. While training for combat, we fired a lot of weapons and had a lot of classes.

Those classes were all outdoor sitting on bleachers with a table training for the day we would be sent off to practice our combat skills for real. Always nearby were pull up bars, and on every break from class time, our platoon sergeant would make all of us trot over and do pull ups. Now, growing up on a farm, I was always a pretty strong kid. I ran over during one particular training class on how to use claymore mines and did 65 consecutive pull ups, ran back over to my platoon sergeant like an eager puppy and announced I’d knocked out 65 pull ups, a rather impressive number. “Good job Marine,” was all I got in return which was all I really needed. We had been doing them daily for months and that was the highest number I ever reached. Every time I see those bleachers at Leavitt Meadows, it reminds me of claymore mines & pull ups.

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

2020 Pashnit Coast Range Motorcycle Tour

The plan is to start from Napa and head out through the Coast Range that runs along the coast of California and criss-cross back and forth over it several times over. The Coast Range in NorCal is a low range and a series of parallel ridgelines. Roads are endlessly twisty. I had 16 people sign up for this tour, but in the end, we were a small group of 9, perfect size.

With all this craziness going on around us, I can truly appreciate heading out on the bike to ride.

I head out before the sun comes up to meet the tour group 90 miles away from me, and plan on photographing Highway 121 as the sun comes up. Brand new pavement, endlessly twisty, no traffic at 6:30am.

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

All the sit-down restaurants closed on Monday again, so not gonna let that stop us. We just had a picnic instead.

DSC00465-1.JPG

The Plan

DSC00465-2.JPG

DSC00466-6.JPG

and two Busa's on this tour

DSC00466-4.JPG

Bring Tires. It's a motto I have. We burn them off quick. Three to four rides and that's it. New set required. If you look at your tire and say, I think that'll make a 1000 mile weekend of riding, it ain't gonna make it.

This one had a slow leak, no hole we could see. We had to air it up twice it make it to the hotel. In three consecutive tours I've done this year, we've had three flats. We're 0-3. Carry a patch kit and a pump if you want to ride like this.
DSC00486-3.JPG

DSC00486-1.JPG

DSC00480-1.JPG

Hotel Breakers in Gualala, nice place, restaurant on site. Can't feed us inside, but they can feed out outside, so it all worked out. Sound of the ocean.

DSC00480-4.JPG

Last edited:
DSC00502.jpg

I wonder if I put my underwear on my head, that would count and they'd let me in. At least I know that works at Walmart so there.

1595263262007.jpeg

Back