2017 hard to start after being serviced

Tim R

Registered
I just picked up my '17 Busa after 5000 k Service. I've owned it since new, It has always sparked right up, usually first crank. Now takes 4 cranks, I stalled it when it was warm and nearly killed my battery trying to restart. All this happened after the full service at the dealership. Battery seems fine, it turns over well, just doesn't seem to fire up easily. Called the service dept and they didnt have any ideas and its a long ways to take the bike back in for them to check it. Heading out on a long ride in a couple of days and don't want any problems. Any ideas?

Sadly, my answer was to take it back and get them to sort it out. They may have not reconnected everything- @Kiwi Rider what goes into a 5 k check? Maybe the dealer service dept missed something?

Last edited:
Sadly, my answer was to take it back and get them to sort it out. They may have not reconnected everything- @Kiwi Rider what goes into a 5 k check? Maybe the dealer service dept something?
It’s a basic service with oil and filter, and all the usual checks.
There is a specific checklist of items, but I don’t have access at the the moment... I’m at home for the weekend.
If the start up cranking has changed and takes longer it may be caused by a reset of the ECU, the tech may have plugged in the scan tool and cleared the memory or something like that, hey... I’m clutching at straws here .
There’s most probably absolutely nothing to worry about.
But, if the starting gets slower and harder definitely get it back to the Dealer!

So a couple of things 1 crank vs 4 cranks . We really can't count the revolutions like this accurately.
Willing to bet the battery is on its way out . Most people think they should last a long time when in reality they are a disposable item . if you get a few good years then you did well .
The hayabusa stick coils like many other brands require good voltage to fire off the engine . where standard old school coils require less . I see this in the zrx world where they convert to stick coils off the ZX10R from old school dual coils .

What is you battery voltage while applying the start button ? You need a Multi meter set on the DC scale .

I just picked up my '17 Busa after 5000 k Service. I've owned it since new, It has always sparked right up, usually first crank. Now takes 4 cranks, I stalled it when it was warm and nearly killed my battery trying to restart. All this happened after the full service at the dealership. Battery seems fine, it turns over well, just doesn't seem to fire up easily. Called the service dept and they didnt have any ideas and its a long ways to take the bike back in for them to check it. Heading out on a long ride in a couple of days and don't want any problems. Any ideas?

Always have one of these with you when you go for longer rides. Very cheap and effective when you need them! Saved my butt more than once in the middle of nowhere!!!

(I know this doesnt solve your current issue, but a suggestion for the future!)

Amazon.com: Keenpower Portable 12V Car Jump Starter Emergency Battery Booster Pack Charging Outputs (Black/Red/Yellow) (RED 600A): Gateway

Did they adjust the valves? If so they messed it up.
At 5k service? No way.
Even if they were foolish enough to make that mistake . . it would be on the service invoice.
Dealerships only do whats necessary, and even then . . hmmm.

...Of course 4 cranks isn't a big deal, I noticed mine doesn't fire right up, it takes a few cranks....and runs 100% perfectly.

If you are having to hold the starter button for longer or multiple starter button stabs before starting, I'd be more concerned...when it does start, what does the exhaust smell/look like?

As c10 said I'd be guessing at the battery, I noticed mine having to hit the start button a few times when my battery started getting old. Was even worse when I had the h.i.d headlights in it and was even ti the point that if I turned my led under lights on before hitting thr start button it'd cause the same thing

Back