2016 Busa Comparison To Zzr14 In Fast Bikes

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I think it was Fastbikes. It's a Euro mag so if you are here in the states you'll have to go to a book store to find one. I get it at Barnes & Noble. Anyway they trashed the Busa as old and outdated and lacking in any real purpose or street cred anymore. Hurts to read that but it's just the way it is. Suzuki definitely let the Busa name go down the tube by not updating the bike. Kawi did put a little technology in the ZZr, but neither of these bikes are what they used to be in performance or image.

Might've been worded harshly but it's true.... Nowadays there's Liter bikes that make the same if not more HP and weigh 100 lbs lighter. It's pretty remarkable how fast the improvements and innovations have progressed technology wise regarding motorcycles.

The price point for a Busa is also hurting it cause you can get a whole lot more for less or a helluva lot more for more so it's kinda stuck in this weird place right now. I'm seeing 3 and 4 year old brand new busas and Zx14's still sitting on the showroom floor marked down like crazy and nobody is biting..... There's better sport bikes out there right now and better touring bikes. The adventure bike market also took a huge chunk out of the pie as well. Cause now you can do your touring with a relatively fast bike that has better ergos and is more versatile. Hence the KTM SuperdukeGT or Ducati Multistrada to name a few.

The old saying goes..... "Adapt or Die"

So at the moment if you still like your busa and want to keep up wth the modern litre bikes a turbo is the only option ? then again the money you will spend on the turbo will nearly buy you a litre bike :thumbsup:

One thing all liter bikes lack is torque. The Bird may not be King in the mags , but it is in LSR racing , Drag Racing world
What the ZZR/ZX14R is from factory is a 1441 kit with factory hand port work off show room floor . Do this to a Hayabusa and its game on . Only a small percentage can use these bikes to their potential so its bragging rights to most riders . There are many of us out there who will wipe the floor with you on our old big bird suzuki. I did not buy my bird to roll with the Rossi or Ricky Gadson wana be's. It was because its a tried n true stable platform to build any bike you want . lsr/drag/cruiser/tour/ it will do it all the end.

Another thing is that the stock Busa is weak in many areas. I wonder how it would fair for example as mine is configured with Brembos (non-ABS), Ohlins, Yoshi full exhaust, 189 hp/106 ft/lbs, etc. They also said the Busa had a weird riding position. People don't get that the Busa was supposed to be a sporting bike, not a straight up touring bike.

Still, there is no excuse for Suzuki letting the flagship go so long without some love.

If I had to start from scratch today, I would buy another Busa.

Not a Kawasaki fan, but the platform of the Busa and ZX14 still does everything well. It may not be the best in any one specific discipline, but it handles all the disciplines well. For example, it won't compete with 1k bikes on the track, but it still does OK on the track, it keeps up with the best on the 1/4, it may not be the most comfortable touring bike, but it tours much better than a 1k, it may not be the best riding 2-up, but it does OK 2-up, etc.

In short, for a bike that does everything well, it is still hard to beat.

For a bike that lends itself to after market modifications, there is nothing that compares to a Busa.

I think part of the reason for the platform aging, is because it is in a category where it has become really hard to push the envelope. Top end is at Euro agreement, 1/4 mile is still competitive, handling versus comfort there is not much scope. The only thing that remains is improving with electronics and perhaps getting the weight down a bit. Electronics do not really excite me, as I am not in competition and prefer riding the bike the way I ride without interference.

Personally, if I was Suzuki, I would wait this thing out until the competition starts running out of ideas for new gizmos and then launch a Gen3 at the top of the pack to last another decade.

Another thing is that the stock Busa is weak in many areas. I wonder how it would fair for example as mine is configured with Brembos (non-ABS), Ohlins, Yoshi full exhaust, 189 hp/106 ft/lbs, etc. They also said the Busa had a weird riding position. People don't get that the Busa was supposed to be a sporting bike, not a straight up touring bike.

Still, there is no excuse for Suzuki letting the flagship go so long without some love.

I traded my gen2 for a Bking years ago, because of the "weird riding position".
The more I rode it, changed seats, bars, pegs, ect., the more I hated it. After 3 1/2 years, it had to go.
The Busa IS a great bike. I just thought the gas tank was too long. As if the bike was designed for someone with longer arms than legs. Turns out it was designed for short, small frame Japanese guys that can stand on the pegs, lay over the tank, stretch to the bars, and still be almost completely out of the wind. As we know the Busa was designed for and once was the king of speed.
I loved the Bking. Sold it after 2 years, I had no problems making it do whatever I wanted, but I got tired of a big, bulky, heavy bike.
I continue to ride my friends' 1ks, and miss mine.
I'll be buying another gsxr 1k eventually.
Add dirtbike bars and it's the most comfortable, light weight rocket I've ever ridden(friend has dirtbike bars on an 09).
The Busa will always be a great bike, but it is dated. Even the gen2 was more of an update than a new bike.
Most of us would love to see a completely new Busa. Suzuki says it's coming...so we'll see.

The technology is there ,just remove the vvt and electronics from the new gsxr1000 and stick it in the busa ,a few tweaks to the bodywork and done,almost forgot 1500cc engine and I think most of us will be happy

Fallenarch your right about the image,I was at the London motorbike show and a couple of blokes in front were sniggering taking the piss about the size of the busa etc.I could only think they have never ridden one to appreciate it

I think everyone is right here. Sucks but Suzuki almost needs to reinvent the reason for these bikes more so than a new bike itself. Basically lighten the Busa, add TC/ABS (real ABS), bore it out to 1500cc and you won't even need VVT. All this is really easy stuff to do. But you still have a market turning to nakeds and Liters. Funny but I happen to be the guy they built the busa for! I love back road twisties (requires an engine torque, and agile but slower steering vs. quick steering of a trackbike). I also have a 30 inch inseam, 38+ inch sleeve and I'm 6'1" tall. So totally honest I never realized the Busa was "weird" to ride!

A friend of mine just bought a 2016 BMW S1000RR for around $15K.
It has so much stuff on it that makes it a pleasure to ride it's not funny.
And it's faster than our Busa's.

But I still like the looks of my Busa better.

Back