2014 busa exhaust buffeting

Earizistable

Registered
Hi my name is Aaron. I have a 2014 50th anv busa. I had a set of voodoo slip-on short pipes put on along with a bazzaz zfi . The bike sounds great but at cruising speed and or rpm around 2 to 3k it makes a buffeting sound . Once I pass the rpm range the bike acts and sounds great. The company that I had install it recommended I put a auto tune on the bike along with the zfi. Is this correct or does anyone have any suggestions. I appreciate any suggestions .. Thank you.

:welcome: to the org. I don't have any experience with the voodoo exhaust but if it is just a slip on then you should not have to add anything to the bike. I also don't know what the zfi is but that could be your problem try removing that and see what happens.

The buffeting you are hearing is mostly the result of having a loud set of pipes with minimal backpressure. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you for the greetings and the replies . I wasn't worried to much about the sound as I am the way the bike stutters with the buffeting sound. If I roll the throttle just a but more the buffeting will stop. I don't really know how to explain this very well and I apologize for it. I was also concerned about the FI light being on now once the bazzaz ecu was installed. This is my first busa and I'm not familiar with any of this .

If it was me I would spend the money on an ecu tune instead of all the rest of that stuff and find a good tuner of course. I think that would be the best thing. jmo.

Yes I realize now I should have just gotten a tune. But since I have already spent the money on this unit I was wondering what would be the best route to take with it. Another guy I know has the same setup with no problems. Not even the buffeting issue.i was going to call the company and see if the ecu might be defective or what they suggest .

The easiest way to diagnose the problem is to remove ONE of the two things you added to the bike - ride it and see if the problem goes away. If it does not, remove the other item, and see if the problem goes away. If your friend has the same set up, exactly, then you can be assured one of the two has a problem on your set up. Does your friends FI light come on with his set up? Since the slip-on exhaust really doesn't have anything that would/could be screwed up, remove the fuel controller... Seems like that would be the obvious problem to me.

His bike doesn't show the FI light and I didn't know if any of yall have used the bazzaz fuel controller with any of the same problems. I am sure it is the fuel controller that is causing this problem but I don't see why or how.

First your shop telling you to add an AutoTune sounds a little crazy. This sounds like the Bazzaz was installed improperly, as this is a good product that works. I would start there. Remove it and set the bike back to stock and I bet the Fi light goes off and things work properly. Then find a new shop. As was said your bike should handle the slipons without any Fi adjustments. Then add a good racing air filter and get the ecu flashed with a dyno tune. That should fix you right up.

Well I removed the bazzaz and put everything back to stock. The FI light is still on and flashing on the dash . This is just getting rediculous . As I was taking it off I looked for any crossed wires or anything that may have been hooked up wrong and ev r u thing seemed to be in order .

at cruising speed and or rpm around 2 to 3k it makes a buffeting sound . Once I pass the rpm range the bike acts and sounds great.

I have the VooDoo full exhaust system on my '09 Busa and if I'm interpreting your description of your issue correctly, I too am experiencing the same symptoms of having this exhaust. I'm able to reproduce the first symptom more easily on 3rd and 4th gear when accelerating to about 4k RPM and completely letting off the throttle. Once I let off the throttle, it sounds as if I was shooting fireworks (no exaggeration) from 4k RPM down to about 3k RPM. The second symptom that I'm experiencing is that during normal cruising and while engine breaking and the RPM's normally drop from 3K and lower on until I have to clutch to stop, the exhaust doesn't sound smoothly as you would imagine an engine slowing down in speed but almost as if the engine is running with larger cams.

I believe that the probable cause for our problems with this exhaust is that we don't have the correct tuning for our engine and the exhaust. I called VooDoo today and was able to confirm that there is in fact, no pre-configured engine mapping for this particular exhaust from VooDoo nor Power Commander. However, the VooDoo representative did say that they are currently working on getting a mapping for this exhaust system and that until then, their recommendation was for us to use the mapping from a similar style exhaust; either the "Muzzy" or "M4" exhaust mappings.

Before I purchased my Busa a few months back, I did read that many people online recommends against this particular exhaust because of its power inefficiencies. Coincidentally, I found my Busa with the exhaust on it already and though have loved the sound and looks of it, am also concerned with its performance.

Can someone please elaborate on how this particular exhaust for the Busa isn't good?

I'm probably gonna get slammed with many responses as I've read on other forums such as "just don't buy it, it's crap," "just listen to us, because," "we wouldn't tell you that it's crap if it wasn't," and other similar non-productive responses so please refrain from doing so if you can help yourself. This is a friendly community and I'm only looking for a logical reasoning as to "why?"

Thanks in advance.

To update what I have found out. Apparently the air temp sensor plug was off. Plugged it back in and all is well. The only thing is it fouled out my plugs. Everything is all good now. I was also told that the voodoo short pipes don't have sufficient back pressure and that is what the noises are.

Back