2013 Panigale R Review

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
Good (initial) review in Cycle World Magazine; when it arrives in the U.S., they're going to test it against BMW's HP4. Ducati 1199 Panigale R- First Ride Review- Photos

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 10.49.51 AM.png

Duc's usually look super sweet and are apparantly built well. I just never like the names they choose. Hayabusa=cool. R1=cool. GSXR=cool. etc etc.

Panigale...??? I dunno. Sounds like a cross between a saddle bag (pannier) and a chic's name (Gail). :laugh:

Diavel,Monster,Grantourismo,Hyperstrada,Corse.... who ever in marketing at Ducati is comming up with this shi7 needs to have their ass fired. :2cents:

The other thing I cant get my head around with Duc's is the sound of that dry clutch. I test road a couple and kept looking down waiting for it to explode. I know companies like to be different and stand out etc...but how many other good major brands use a dry clutch. :dunno:

They are damb sexy thou...

RSD.

I dont see any comparison between the Duc and the BMW as far as performance goes. maybe at the track they will be close but on the street the BMW will be bus lengths ahead and the BMW wont sound like there r marbles rolln around in the engine....:whistle:

Duc's usually look super sweet and are apparantly built well. I just never like the names they choose. Hayabusa=cool. R1=cool. GSXR=cool. etc etc.

Panigale...??? I dunno. Sounds like a cross between a saddle bag (pannier) and a chic's name (Gail). :laugh:

Diavel,Monster,Grantourismo,Hyperstrada,Corse.... who ever in marketing at Ducati is comming up with this shi7 needs to have their ass fired. :2cents:

The other thing I cant get my head around with Duc's is the sound of that dry clutch. I test road a couple and kept looking down waiting for it to explode. I know companies like to be different and stand out etc...but how many other good major brands use a dry clutch. :dunno:

They are damb sexy thou...

RSD.

Good points. I never thought about the names, but you're right. I think Panigale is an area of Bologna where the factory is located, and Corse is Italian for team. My buddy had a 999 with an open clutch cover, and while it sounded strange, once I heard it for a while, it became a signature (that is, if you could hear it over his full Termignoni exhaust). I sat on an 1199S, and it wasn't at all comfortable--probably 'cause of these old bones.

I dont see any comparison between the Duc and the BMW as far as performance goes. maybe at the track they will be close but on the street the BMW will be bus lengths ahead and the BMW wont sound like there r marbles rolln around in the engine....:whistle:

From what I've read, the 1199R has a few more horsepower than the HP4, and weighs about nine pounds less, so they're on par from a technical standpoint. According to Cycle World, the 1199R does not have an electronic governor that restricts the speed to 186 mph. So, I'd say it's probably up to the skill of the rider. And many people prefer the growl of the Ducati to the buzz of the BMW.

Back