2011 Gen II Busa ignition key problem ?

bigron

Registered
HI Guys , this is my first thread so go easy on me. I picked up a new gen II busa in September that's now done around 2500 miles. Have been facing 2 problems since the last week or so and any help would be greatly appreciated. Firstly the ignition key has started taking to much effort to slot in. It does go in but with alot of effort .Once in the key turns normally . Pulling out the key is also harder . The bike can be locked but then again putting in the key and taking it out is hard.The key is absolutely straight with no damage. Secondly I ve been noticing if i open the throttle aggressively in any gear there is a " metal grinding " sound from around the engine for the fist few seconds till the bike picks up speed and then the noise goes. It also happens sometimes if I start the bike in first from idle and twist open the throttle. No sound if i accelerate with a steady increase in throttle. Is my engine knocking ? I am using 91 octane as fuel as this is what we get here. Thanks in advance guys.

For the key prob. Hit the key and ignition with some kind of lubricant. As in for the metal grinding sound, it could be that the clutch basket maybe loose.

Thanks for the reply. The clutch on my bike has been iffy right from the day i got her home. Makes to much noise while up/downshifting and the shift is notchy. I did a clutch bleed but to no help. Told the dealer about the same problem and he also suggested its probably the clutch.The dealer has offered me to change the complete clutch assembly if needed . As regards the lube , anything specif you would recommend ?

If the bikes under warranty I would take it to the dealer for both issues. These bikes are gonna rattle if you twist the wrist at idle. The valve train should raise hell.

The sound only comes when the bike is in gear .Mainly when pulling hard from any gear during initial load. Can i use engine oil to oil the key and the ignition ?

The sound only comes when the bike is in gear .Mainly when pulling hard from any gear during initial load. Can i use engine oil to oil the key and the ignition ?
Typically graphite is used with keys. I would seriously take the bike to the shop. It's free.

Thanks will do. Well i figured water must have entered the ignition when i washed the bike yesterday. still will cross check with the dealer.

As per advice above, take it to the Dealers to get their opinion.

As for the ignition key, on my first Busa I had problems with it and added a small amount of engine oil to each side of the key blade before I was going for a ride, after several applications the problem eased and then disappeard all together, I continued this practise a few years later on my second Busa.
I took delivery of a K11 in September and will continue to apply as above every six months or so.
This has been over a period of seven years with no problems.

Best regards Stretch.
PS you must use 10W - 50 Fully Syn. API SL, JASO MA :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

@ stretch , Big E - thanks for the tip. Did the same and the key goes in just like its meant to go. Will probably follow the practice till the problem vanishes. Now coming to that " metal grinding " sound under heavy acceleration. The problem is the dealer is about 150 miles away from where i stay. But i guess i have no other choice. Apart from a loose clutch basket any other potential faults i should look at ?

Back