2011, 750 miles - chain broke - UPDATED w/ Pics

LastBusa

Registered
Just picked my bike up from it's 1st service yesterday. Went riding this morning. 4 miles into ride, bike fully warmed up, applied about 3/4 throttle in 2nd and felt a bang, like a chain skipping a tooth. The 2 bikes behind me heard it including my buddy 20 bike lengths back on a loud XR1200. Pulled over and everything was still in place except one broken link on the inside of the chain.

I can't figure out what the bang was. Could it have been the chain actually skipping a tooth? Would I be out of line to expect the chain and 2 new sprockets to be replaced under warranty?

Re: 2011, 750 miles - chain broke

Was the chain really tight when you left the service shop?

You would not be out of line at all! Take it back and have them remove all the plastic on the chain side and inspect everything. At the least you deserve a chain and and if anything else is marred you deserve to have those items replaced as well. I could only imagine that the broken link hit some piece of the sprocket housing to make a loud noise, throw us some pix, please

Ah, I'd be brining that bike right back to the dealer for a full inspection, repair and restitution. They could have killed you.

Was the chain really tight when you left the service shop?

I honestly couldn't say but I've been thinking it's either that or a defective chain. The fact that I went 700 plus miles then it happened 10 miles after I picked it up from it's 1st service has me leaning towards it being to tight though.

I'm sure someone's going to say it, but I am already feeling like an idiot for assuming that everything would be perfect after the dealer just went through everything.

Never trust a repair shop, especially a dealer. Ill walk around mine now to see if anything is different and Ive even taken pics prior. They owe you.

Almost has to be the chain was WAY over tightened or the back wheel was not straight. 3/4 throttle puts far less stress on a chain than a launch in 1st gear or clutching wheelies up, you never hear about a chain breaking doing any of those things.

The dealer owes you a chain at minimum, also check your output shaft to make sure it didn't bend from the stress.

You would not be out of line at all! Take it back and have them remove all the plastic on the chain side and inspect everything. At the least you deserve a chain and and if anything else is marred you deserve to have those items replaced as well. I could only imagine that the broken link hit some piece of the sprocket housing to make a loud noise, throw us some pix, please

I have pics, just have to figure out the quickest way to post them up. I can't find anything else wrong on the outside but I really hope nothing got marred up in the more hidden areas. The chain is actually fully in tact and the pin is still all the way through so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The chain rolled perfectly smooth as we rolled the bike back and forth looking for the problem.

I have pics, just have to figure out the quickest way to post them up. I can't find anything else wrong on the outside but I really hope nothing got marred up in the more hidden areas. The chain is actually fully in tact and the pin is still all the way through so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The chain rolled perfectly smooth as we rolled the bike back and forth looking for the problem.

You really need to take it in. The chain was over tightened. They do need to pull it apart and inspect everything for marring. I hope you had a friend help you trailer it home or to the shop.

photo photo photos you want to be able to document when it happen in relation to the service performed just in case there is a problem down the road. You might also want to get witness letters from your friends while its fresh in their minds. Hopefully you will not need it but better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Thanks for all the comments. I did trailer it home from there. I was only a few miles from my house so my son came with my Jeep and trailer.

Funny how something like this can actually make you sick to your stomach. I do feel lucky though. A few friends and I were going riding for the day and I have been itching to open her up a little. If it had have been a few hours later on the open back country roads we were headed for, it would have happened at a considerably higher speed.

I'm just hoping for the best as it did play out about as well as it could of. As soon as I heard the clunk, I got right out of it and never actually broke the chain completely. As the pictures will show, it broke right at one of the holes in the link and the other half of the hole is still lined up with the pin.

I feel pretty lucky for that as I've seen the damage that CAN be caused on dirtbikes many years ago.

Almost has to be the chain was WAY over tightened or the back wheel was not straight. 3/4 throttle puts far less stress on a chain than a launch in 1st gear or clutching wheelies up, you never hear about a chain breaking doing any of those things.

The dealer owes you a chain at minimum, also check your output shaft to make sure it didn't bend from the stress.

More than likely it would pull back on the output shaft and break the case.
Seen that on my friends dirt bike. The suspension compressed and bang.

Who wants to wager on what the dealer says if they don't want to "Pony Up" for complete restitution.

doesnt matter. sounds like the chain was tensioned too tight during the 600 mile service but either way the bike is still within the factory warranty....

Since the chain is still on the bike, check the tension now, correct is about 1 inch of easy vertical movement.

If it is still to tight after breaking you can bet it was far tighter than that when it left the shop.

Since the chain is still on the bike, check the tension now, correct is about 1 inch of easy vertical movement.

If it is still to tight after breaking you can bet it was far tighter than that when it left the shop.
They won't want to pay for the tow.

I call bull**** on the dealer. Have them fix it all and any damages done to your bike. That was it's first maintenance for warranty purposes and they messed that up large. I'm hearing alot of shady work done by dealers lately. I think Suzuki needs to revaluate some of their dealers.

Glad you are alright and hoping the bike pulls through clean as well. I am very interested in hearing what ends up being the cause of this incident. It also has me thinking more actively too...my Busa is coming up on her 600 mile service and I am going to make sure I triple check everything before I pull away from there.

Back