2011, 750 miles - chain broke - UPDATED w/ Pics

I owned an '84 700 nighthawk s whose generator chain seperated @ 20k mi.while i was starting it up. Upon dissasembly of the engine I managed to retrieve the broken pieces of the chain from the oil pan. The 5 I think side plates had broken in their middles at the exact same spots and the irregular edges (side on view) were virtual cookie cutter matches. My brother is an expert heat treat engineer and it was his opinion that the uniform weakness indicated a failure in the heat treat hardening process used. A rock caught between the sprocket and chain could cause instant failure? I've never heard of that happening in 40 years of riding. If it was too tight, enough to cause failure, the chain would make an obvious audible whine and vibration especially when coasting to a stop. I would ask for the broken chain and get it tested by a heat treat company for service spec. Their denial of defect is bogus lacking irrefutable hard evidence, else we're all in imminent danger every time we twist the throttle on this rather powerful machine.

So, it seems i have missed this thread totally, What dealership, is this?

Try not to get to upset by this nonsense,these dealers(most are )ROTTEN, I wish i could think of a better word.I was faced w/the same problem ,dealer ships being far apart AND GETTING THE SCREW by the closest one,where i bought both my busas and spent a boatload of cash,the stories i could tell you,from oil pan bolts(stripped) to replacing a simple rectifier.Iwill no longer spend any money there if its not necesary,im learning to do things myself,thank goodness for the ORG.Im a mechanic by trade(HVAC) so ill be ok.Ask a lot of questions ,remember when your spending your hard earned money their as sweet as honey,but as soon as the money stops flowing WATCH OUT.Have a good day,try to.By the way i live in nj so any of you that are from there know which dealership im referring too

Back