2011, 750 miles - chain broke - UPDATED w/ Pics

One of the service managers came to pick up the bike a few hours ago. The first think he checked was the tension and immediately ruled out over-tightening as it was within spec. I'm not a chain expert but I can't help but think the broken chain would automatically have more slack than before it broke. He then indicated that he has seen this happen before. He said I picked up a rock and it lodged between the chain and sprocket causing the loud bang and breaking the link on one side. I suppose that's possible but in my experience, highly unlikely. I told him how I am expecting this to play out and that I'll be pushing the issue as high up the chain as I can if they (or Suzuki) don't come through on this. I also requested that they call me when it's apart so I can see what it looks like in and around the front sprocket. I'll post up again when I hear back from them which should be shortly.

One of the service managers came to pick up the bike a few hours ago. The first think he checked was the tension and immediately ruled out over-tightening as it was within spec. I'm not a chain expert but I can't help but think the broken chain would automatically have more slack than before it broke. He then indicated that he has seen this happen before. He said I picked up a rock and it lodged between the chain and sprocket causing the loud bang and breaking the link on one side. I suppose that's possible but in my experience, highly unlikely. I told him how I am expecting this to play out and that I'll be pushing the issue as high up the chain as I can if they (or Suzuki) don't come through on this. I also requested that they call me when it's apart so I can see what it looks like in and around the front sprocket. I'll post up again when I hear back from them which should be shortly.

A rock will not make a "bang" noise when it goes through the sprockets, it just crushes, turns to powder and goes away.

All the gravel miles I and friends put on dirt bikes in high school I never heard of any thing like this, the service manager was blowing smoke; AKA covering the dealers back.

A rock will not make a "bang" noise when it goes through the sprockets, it just crushes, turns to powder and goes away.

All the gravel miles I and friends put on dirt bikes in high school I never heard of any thing like this, the service manager was blowing smoke; AKA covering the dealers back.

He went into defend mode before he even bent down to look at it. It couldn't possibly be that the chain was over-tightened when it was in their shop the day before, but it definitely could be a rock in the road that shot up onto the chain.

Yeah, gotta agree with everyone else. I guess anything is possible, but in over 3 decades of street riding I have never even heard of anything like that happening. Chain was overtightened.

As the owner of several small businesses, it never fails to surprise me how many dealerships will argue over a few dollars with customers. There is no way for this bloke to prove he is right, or that you are wrong, so why not do as I would do and simply say "well, I'm not sure if we screwed up or not, but what do I have to do to make this right?"

How much could a new chain and pair of sprockets be at dealer cost? Justin? Care to join in?

Just spoke with the dealer. They are going to take pictures and send to Suzuki but he flat out said that it is most likely not going to be covered. He is sticking with the rock theory and when I asked why this type of thing doesn't happen all the time with dirt bikes, he said it could have even been a bolt that dropped down from above. What? I'll be pushing him for his contact at Suzuki so they get ALL the details including the chain adjustment the day before.

I told him that if they don't cover it, to leave it alone and I'll come down with a trailer and take the bike back the way it is. They can also save me the call to the parts dept. and cancel the Brock's pipe, BMC filter and PCV that should be in this week.

Once I have my bike back in my possession, I'll feel more comfortable with pushing back a little harder, now with the general manager and owner who I've spent $37000 (2 motorcycles, 2 4 wheelers)with in the last year alone. Might not accomplish anything, but making them aware that for a lousy couple of hundred dollars, they lost a good paying customer, one with a big mouth, one that has been active in the local motorcycle community for 4 decades, one that will push letters as far up the corporate ladder as I can get, can be very therapeutic.

I feel better already.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta agree with everyone else. I guess anything is possible, but in over 3 decades of street riding I have never even heard of anything like that happening. Chain was overtightened.

As the owner of several small businesses, it never fails to surprise me how many dealerships will argue over a few dollars with customers. There is no way for this bloke to prove he is right, or that you are wrong, so why not do as I would do and simply say "well, I'm not sure if we screwed up or not, but what do I have to do to make this right?"

How much could a new chain and pair of sprockets be at dealer cost? Justin? Care to join in?

This is at a dealership where I'm on a first name basis with 90% of the employees because I and my son are in there so often buying bikes, quads, parts/accessories. I even bought my previous Hayabusa from the same owner when he owned a different dealership several years ago.

Curious if maybe you shouldn't just call Suzuki without waiting on the dealer to piddle around on this one. Perhaps that would be the spark that is needed to get this resolved. Though to be honest, with the way that it sounds like they are messing around with you, I would personally be inclined to call Suzuki and nip this one in the bud.

714-572-1490 from Suzuki Cycles - Contact if you are interested. :p

Maybe I'm losing my marbles, but it looks like the sprocket side spacer is not in there and there is a gap? Is anyone else seeing that?

Haven't you ever seen one of those fancy titanium rocks they drop on the road during bad weather?? Jeez :p.

I have never heard of what he is claiming. I so though there should be significant marring on the sprocket where this mighty rock took out your chain. Yes there would be more slack in the chain if it's missing one piece. Check your service manual and make sure he checked the tension correctly for a busa when he showed up. Keep writing those letters man. You would think that they would want to keep ya as a customer.

Here's my 2 cents worth. I'm on my 3rd chain (78K miles so far), and the picture you posted is scary. The chain, sprocket and hub look very bad. I would not ride the thing unless all the parts were replaced, and verified to be aligned with a professional mechanic who can use the proper tools.

If you just throw a new chain and sprockets, you'll not sleep well knowing it could happen again. I've seen chains with 20K and no lube look better that that one.

Regardless of who pays the bill, you will be far worse off if the chain snaps at 100 mph.

Look at the gap between the sprocket and the swingarm guys...

2011-07-30TimsBustedChain_1(3).jpg

Didn't notice that. Not good.

Not at all man... the dealer may want to reconsider repairs after seeing your picture of a missing spacer. I've had mine fall out before when putting the wheel up in the swingarm and didn't see it or hear it when it did. When I went to tightening the axle nut up it was extremely evident something didn't feel right. Surprised the service person didn't catch that if indeed the spacer is missing, which it sure looks like it is.

It's hard to tell but you may want to make sure that rear sprocket isn't bent. It may just be the chain making it look that way but I'd at least clean it up and lay it on a flat surface and find out. Look for chipped teeth or anything else. I'd check the front sprocket also just for fun :whistle:

See #1 in the diagram LastBusa, just an fyi. You may know this already

Attachments

• k8hayabusamanual.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 669
Curious if maybe you shouldn't just call Suzuki without waiting on the dealer to piddle around on this one. Perhaps that would be the spark that is needed to get this resolved. Though to be honest, with the way that it sounds like they are messing around with you, I would personally be inclined to call Suzuki and nip this one in the bud.

714-572-1490 from Suzuki Cycles - Contact if you are interested. :p

I like this idea best! especially after the dealer was blowing smoke up your:moon:...I had some issues with a dealer regarding a recall and after speaking to a rep. in California, things were taken care of `right quick`.
I personally think at a minimum, new chain AND both sprockets need replaced..and aditionally looked over very good by a competent mechanic.
I hope thing turn out well.
I went and looked at my bike at that angle (picture) and could not tell if the spacer is missing....but why would the axle need to be removed during initial service???

Thanks, would anyone have a picture of this angle of the hub/sprocket for comparison?

I would help you there but my bike is about 4 or 5 states over from where I'm at right now. That would be good if you could get a couple pictures from that angle on another bike. Someone will prob post up some pics before too long. Hope it all works out for you, that really sucks and I feel for ya, it could have been alot uglier than that

Back