2011, 750 miles - chain broke - UPDATED w/ Pics

Re: 2011, 750 miles - chain broke

Here are a few pics...

2011-07-30TimsBustedChain_1(3).jpg

2011-07-30TimsBustedChain_2.jpg

Almost has to be the chain was WAY over tightened or the back wheel was not straight. 3/4 throttle puts far less stress on a chain than a launch in 1st gear or clutching wheelies up, you never hear about a chain breaking doing any of those things.

The dealer owes you a chain at minimum, also check your output shaft to make sure it didn't bend from the stress.

This and another post about pulling the output shaft back and breaking the case has me very concerned. If the chain was tight enough to break the chain, I tend to agree that it could also damage the output shaft and/or case. I want to check it out myself but am hesitant due to warranty. I'm thinking I need to leave it the way it is for the dealer to open up.

Do not touch the bike....take it back to the delaer as it is. If you open it up..they have an out.

I honestly couldn't say but I've been thinking it's either that or a defective chain. The fact that I went 700 plus miles then it happened 10 miles after I picked it up from it's 1st service has me leaning towards it being to tight though.

I'm sure someone's going to say it, but I am already feeling like an idiot for assuming that everything would be perfect after the dealer just went through everything.

Defective chain or maybe, is it possible they left the rear wheel crooked and pressure was applied to the links improperly by the sprocket :dunno:

But they should fix it under warranty whatever it is but if I were you I would make every effort to find out if it was a manufacturer equipment defect or a mechanic defect.. If it's a mechanic defect you need to find a different dealer to take your bike to. You don't want them working on your bike..

When I bought my bike at the dealer I had every intention of taking it there for service, but after I bought the bike they installed a new tire for me and left the axle or adjuster bolts loose and the tire crossed on me while I was riding. Never been back never will I would rather never service it than let them touch it. Luckily I found a tech who is the pitman for a couple of the local race teams around here and now I take my bike to him, have never had and issue yet.

Since the chain is still on the bike, check the tension now, correct is about 1 inch of easy vertical movement.

If it is still to tight after breaking you can bet it was far tighter than that when it left the shop.

Currently it's approx. an inch or slightly over.

Defective chain or maybe, is it possible they left the rear wheel crooked and pressure was applied to the links improperly by the sprocket :dunno:

But they should fix it under warranty whatever it is but if I were you I would make every effort to find out if it was a manufacturer equipment defect or a mechanic defect.. If it's a mechanic defect you need to find a different dealer to take your bike to. You don't want them working on your bike..

When I bought my bike at the dealer I had every intention of taking it there for service, but after I bought the bike they installed a new tire for me and left the axle or adjuster bolts loose and the tire crossed on me while I was riding. Never been back never will I would rather never service it than let them touch it. Luckily I found a tech who is the pitman for a couple of the local race teams around here and now I take my bike to him, have never had and issue yet.

Didn't actually take any measurements but the alignment indicator marks were identical on both sides.

This is a tough one for me to think about as I ONLY bring bikes in for the 1st service for fear of screwing up future warranty work if I don't. I have always found it difficult to even walk away from it when dropping if off at a dealer. As mentioned earlier, I know I should have checked it myself but fell into the false security that they were the pros and they just went through the whole bike.

I'm far from a pro with this but as I look at the picture from the side, seeing the link stretched away from the pin...Could the bang have been the broken link passing by the non-contact area then getting to the sprocket, riding up from not lining up, then slapping down into the pocket between the teeth?

wow that chain dont look good at all. looks way bent on the sprocket. wonder if the back sprocket is loose?? just weird looking how it looks bent to the left in that pic

Dang... that sucks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yea, in addition to the issue itself, my wife and kids all had there own plans this weekend which left me open for lots of riding time both Saturday and Sunday. Two back to back riding days the day after it's 1st service felt too good to be true and unfortunately turned out to be exactly the case. Just keeping my fingers crossed now and will be bringing it to the shop tomorrow.

Well, if you're local dealer shafts you on a chain, let me know and I'll get you the chain that should of came on the bike from the factory

So was it the master link that gave up it's ghost, or just a random link? Sounds like a bad chain which should be covered under any chain manufacturers warranty (and since your bike is new that would be the manufacturers warranty). So yeah you should get a new chain - let the dealer fight with Suzuki over who's going to pay for it.

As to the sprockets, did you check them? If they were damaged they should be replaced as well.

And you my friend are lucky. A failed chain can end in 3 ways typically. 1) it lays out on the road under the bike, 2) it slams into the engine case and causes catastrophic mechanical damage, 3 ) it comes upwards and potentially causes catastrophic tissue damage. You are very lucky that it held on half a link! Go buy a lotto ticket.

sick....physicaly sick if i was to find that...i would come as unglued as that chain on them

So was it the master link that gave up it's ghost, or just a random link? Sounds like a bad chain which should be covered under any chain manufacturers warranty (and since your bike is new that would be the manufacturers warranty). So yeah you should get a new chain - let the dealer fight with Suzuki over who's going to pay for it.

As to the sprockets, did you check them? If they were damaged they should be replaced as well.

And you my friend are lucky. A failed chain can end in 3 ways typically. 1) it lays out on the road under the bike, 2) it slams into the engine case and causes catastrophic mechanical damage, 3 ) it comes upwards and potentially causes catastrophic tissue damage. You are very lucky that it held on half a link! Go buy a lotto ticket.

It was a random link.

Didn't take it apart so not sure about the front, but the rear looks undamaged. Still going to change both sprockets with the new chain.

Regarding luck, I couldn't agree more. I still can't understand how it held together the way it did. A lottery ticket at lunch is definitely in order.

The dealership called and is sending someone to pick up the bike. The service manager said they have to verify that there is no indication of burnouts or abuse before deciding if the chain is going to be covered. He went silent when I said assuming no other damage, I'm going to want a chain AND both sprockets and want to see around the front sprocket before they put it back together. They are already defending against over-tightening before the bike even gets back to the shop. Maybe it's a defective chain, but the fact that I ran the bike for 700 miles with no issue, then a few miles after they adjusted the chain, it breaks definitely points heavily towards over-tightening.

Back