2009 Stretch or not to stretch

Rick Ekstrom

Registered
I am debating on stretching my bike 4-6 inches and was wondering the plus and minuses of doing so. I am not going to race the bike and it is a daily driver at this point. I like the look of the 6 inch over the way it centers the rear tire in the well.

My questions are, How will it change the handling of the bike and also, what is involved besides the the chain, brake line and extension install. Do I need to stiffen up the rear shock or change it out? Do I have to relocate the license plate? Ect. Ect

Please upload some pics of yours if you dont mind. (4"-6" only)

Thanks in advance

Rick

If you are a bigger person or ride with somebody on the back you would benefit from a stiffer spring...or better yet a revalve too. Are you considering a new arm or extensions?

It will change the handling of the bike for sure...if you like the twisties you won't be able to do as much with a stretched bike. Stretch is good for going straight and drag racing... my .02

Sounds like you ride her to work and the dragstrip. You'll probably want to go with a stiffer spring, not enough adjustment to compensate for the stretch. You'll just end up doing mad burnouts.

I had mine stretched 6" just because I like the look of it. I don't drag, or am all about "twisties". I love the back roads, and I haven't noticed any difference on turns. I did notice a difference on slow moving U-turns...you do go a little wider, but on that note I also had my bike lowered and if I fully turn the bars in my hands will get caught between the grips and tank, so I'm kinda forced to take it a little wide. I'm 6'5" and about 270, and had a passenger that I would guess was about 130 and the bottom part of the fairing in front of the rear tire was scaping a little bit.

You just need the extensions, brake like, and chain, and yes you will probably want to relocate you plate. Hope this helps, and good luck.

attachment.php

Thanks you all for your opinions, I will probably leave it for now seeing that I'm more confused now than I was before. Sure do like the look thugh.

I don't drag race either, I just like the look. Mine is 0-6 set at 5. I'm not a canyon carver but it handles pretty good for MY NEEDS!

Via thunderbolt!

uploadfromtaptalk1318163843555.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1318163874475.jpg

beautiful bike there and for the Gen II in my opinion I think a mild stretch make it look better, especially with the tail section.

My 2008...... 4.5in over with Roaring Toys Extentions, lowered 2.5in rear

IMG_20110319_125332.jpg

garage_attachment.php

I am debating on stretching my bike 4-6 inches and was wondering the plus and minuses of doing so. I am not going to race the bike and it is a daily driver at this point. I like the look of the 6 inch over the way it centers the rear tire in the well.

My questions are, How will it change the handling of the bike and also, what is involved besides the the chain, brake line and extension install. Do I need to stiffen up the rear shock or change it out? Do I have to relocate the license plate? Ect. Ect

Please upload some pics of yours if you dont mind. (4"-6" only)

Thanks in advance

Rick

you sounds bored at work is all... lol!

Unless you are drag racing, I see no point in stretching - unless you just want the look at the cost of handling.

After looking at that sexy Orange and black bike long and hard ,it has come to the realization that the Hayabusa looks like a Body builder from the side, all strong and tough :thumbsup: oh yea ,,,stretch it 4 to 6 :laugh:

Back