2009 Busa not starting

Bicster

Registered
Hi all, ive had a bit of a nightmare tonight. I was riding my 2009 Busa in town (30mph) and the engine suddenly died. Pulled over and tried to re-start it, it cranked over just fine but didnt fire up at all. I turned the key off and back on again and noticed the fuel pump wasnt priming and also the all of the gauges are stuck where they were when the engine died as in the speedo still reads 30mph, the rev counter is still at 2500rpm and also the temperature gauge is still in the same position. Also the centre bit of the instrument cluster where the gear indicator is is blank. The gauge cluster lights are working and also all of the lights/indicators/brake lights are working. It does have a Power Commander 5 fitted which is not showing any sign of life as the power light isnt coming on. Ive had to leave the bike in town at a friends house and will have to go and have a look at it tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has got any ideas of what could have happened? Cheers in advance.

check fuses first. next unplug power commander and return to stock and try. if that all fails almost sounds like your ecu croaked. If the bike has seen rain check your kill switch. i have seen them screw up.

first and foremost disconnect the battery for 10 min. rehook after fuse check and try

Thanks mate, I would have checked the fuses tonight but I didnt have any tools with me and had to look exactly where the fuse box is in the manual when I got home, looks a bit of a pain to get at. It has been raining here quite a bit (thats the British summertime for you) so will have a look at the kill switch too. Heres the bit im kicking myself about.....I got off the bike to look around it and got back on, tried to start it and it wouldnt fire, kicked the side stand up, tried it again, nothing, went to put it on the side stand and yeah you guessed it, Sir Isaac Newton had taken over as id not put the stand back down so I had to lay it down, only a scratched generator cover but made a bad night worse, damn heavy to pick up arent they! Will also return the PC to stock and will keep my fingers crossed that its not the ECU. Thanks again.

Oh and will disconnect the battery, then check the fuses, if theres no fuses blown which should take a while to check ill reconnect the battery and see what happens. Thanks :beerchug:

Well I went to get my bike back today, I disconnected the battery and checked the fuses, the 10amp Fuel fuse was blown so I fitted a new fuse and reconnected the battery, I turned the key and it primed and the engine started. I rode it around a mile down the road and it blew the same fuse again and the engine died. I replaced the fuse with a new one again and it blew that one and a few more with me just turning the key on (the fuel pump wasnt priming as the fuse was blowing the instant I turned the key on). I got it recovered back home and lifted the tank up to look for any bare wires, coundnt see any so decided to try another fuse, it primed and started no problem then when I put the tank down it blew the fuse again and died. Its now a lottery wether it blows a fuse or runs with the tank up or down. Really scratching my head as to what could be causing that fuse to blow now.

I also did the dealer mode thing by using a jumper wire and it came up with c00 indicating no faults but theres clearly something wrong somewhere.

I also disconnected the harness for the fuel pump and the fuse is still blowing with the fuel pump harness disconnected when I turn the key, ive looked at all the wires under the tank to see if any insulating material has rubbed through and cant see anything or any marks that would suggest a short. I havent taken the power commander 5 off yet as I was losing the daylight and thought it best to leave it until tomorrow, I did however disconnect the power commander lead from the negative terminal of the battery (there isnt a connection to the positive terminal of the battery) and it still blew the 10amp Fuel fuse. The bike will run now and agan without blowing the fuse and I ran it through the gears whilst it was on its paddock stand no problem, put the tank up on its stand, tried again and bang the 10amp Fuel fuse blows again so im guessing its not the ECU? Sorry if I keep rambling on but when a solution does come up I hope my ramblings can help someone with the same problem in the future. In the mean time any ideas anyone?

Did you check the kill switch?

I would take it apart and clean the contacts for all the parts in there - probably do the same to the left grip switches too. Might be a long shot but it might work.
Something seems to be shorting out on a random bases. Might even unplug and replug in some connectors around the bike (even the ECU) as sometimes there can be a little corrosion
in some of those which might be causing your issues. How old is the battery? I doubt that a week battery would cause a blown fuse but it couldn't hurt to check it's condition.
Another long shot is the kick stand switch, sometimes they go bad.

Do you have any accessories on the bike or is it 100% stock other then the PC5 you mentioned?

Well ive got to the bottom of the problem. I got the engine running and was having a poke around the fuel pump relay/starter relay area when I saw a spark from the loom onto the subframe. I took the rear plastic bodywork off completely and saw that a wire that supplys the fuel pump relay had rubbed through its insulation on the subframe and was causing a short and the 10amp fuel fuse to blow. Ill be off to get some electrical tape and some tie wraps tomorrow to thoroughly re-cover the wire insulation and to secure the loom better so it cant move and rub against the sub frame. Thanks very much for your help :beerchug: very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Will post again if that wire was the cause of the 10amp fuel fuse blowing. Im pretty convinced as I saw the arc onto the subframe and on inspection I could see bare copper on a wire. Yesterday I purchased 40 10amp fuses and a multimeter from an auction site. I phoned up a mate and he said get hold of a wiring diagram, which I had on my laptop. I followed the 10amp fuel fuse all the way on the diagram and believe me you can eliminate a lot of components, you can narrow it down to a few wires instead of looking at a lot of wires and feeling lost. Im no expert but if you are lost and need a hand dont hesitate send me a message. Ive got my problem solved but as they say....If you have a problem, and no one else can help, maybe you can hire...HAYABUSA.ORG :bowdown:

That's what fuses are for! Glad you found it.

A buddy of mine has a BMW K1200 sportbike. He had a screw rattle out of the airbox and it got caught between the wiring harness and the steering stem. Rubbed through and fried the entire electrical system. He was lucky the entire bike didn't burn. No fuse would have helped there.

glad you found it as well....its a good way to get to know your machine with a little troubleshooting of a gremlin :)

glad you found it as well....its a good way to get to know your machine with a little troubleshooting of a gremlin :)

I cant agree enough VIPERWHITEBUSA, to be honest its been a pleasure tracing that fault and im still smiling smugly as ive fixed it myself. Ive got to be honest, the first people I thought of were on this website for advice. We may come from here there and everywhere, but us Hayabusa lot can pull together. Thanks everyone and I will post reguarly and will hopefully make a few friends along the way :thumbsup: Thanks again

hang a while and you will make fast friends regardless of what you ride.

Just an update. Ive been out for a few hundred miles since we fixed the problem now and she is running like a dream. No further problems at all. Thank you all, if we were all in the pub id be the first to get a round in :beerchug: Honestly, Thank You

Back