2008 Resolution #1: REDO Garage

swamplizard

Registered
Looking to take my two car garage which is a nightmare since we have no basements here in S FL - Looking to rip out everything ans start over. Needs to have a washer/dryer area, full size fridge...the rest is pegboard and storage I hope.

Ideas - post some pics

My idea...
rofl.gif

8.jpg

She's pointing out the switch that sets the vibration level of the seat! I have no idea of what a well organized garage looks like, I have crap hanging everywhere. It's actually 45 ponds of crap in a 25 pound bag!

yeah we moved from the midwest - has 3.5 acres, 4200 sq feet and a three car garage, full walk out basement we played indoor soccer in..... to Florida to live on the water. New place is 2100 sq feet, NO basement cause of high water table, NO attic since the roof lines are low, two car garage might fit two coopers if it were empty. SO all of the crap she "can't live without" gets piled in the garage along with the beer fridge and the laundry stuff. On top of it all - our sub doesnt allow for sheds so bikes, lawn crap everything goes in the garage.

Happy 2008 - time for some cool changes!

I have a 400 sqft garage myself... bites but can work, first thing is to take advantage of wall space... I do not think full peg board is the best route, to much stuff needs shelves.. You may need to consider renting a storage unit or a giant garage sale.. (figure if it can sit in storage for a year, I can do without)

My garage is in transition now for shelves

Have a garage sale or cut it loose to salvation army. Getting a public storage is like renting a black hole. You put your stuff in it and keep paying for it never to see any of that again. I am certain that you could maximize storage and maybe add some outdoor chest storage to stuff gardening equipment into when not in use.

Well, my wife and I are getting ready to move, and I have this beautiful canvas of a completely unfinished 2 car garage to work on.  

First thing: get yourself some cabinets to hang up on the walls. Make sure they're high enough that they dont interfere with the car doors opening and closing.  Also, make sure you get cabinets that are consistent with what YOU need to store.  Plan things out in advance.  I'm doing cabinets on one side and shelving on the other, most likely.  

As for shelving: get something that will be sturdy - dont buy that pressboard stuff, because the second you spill brake fluid or fuel or oil on them, they're toast.  Get a good quality metal shelf.  Also, rubbermaid makes a hanging system that I'm looking into. its adjustable for different kinds of hangers, and if you screw it to the studs, it's VERY sturdy.  Great for rakes, power trimmers, spreaders, etc.  

I'm also building an area for bike stuff.  Essentially it's going to be an area for jackets, gloves, boots, pants, and helmets.  That wa all my gear can stay in one centralized place without having to put any of it on the floor.

As for the floor itself, I'm having the floor professionally sealed with an epoxy.  It's kinda like what you can buy in the can at lowes (made by rustoleum) but the professional grade stuf works MUCH better, from my experience.  It'll hold up to a kickstand being put on it without chipping and/or scratching.  

With anything like this, you have to consider your budget as well. it would be EASY for me to spend 20 grand or more in my garage, but im not going that high dollar.  If you want it, they even have diamond plate aliminum cabinets, but you'll pay dearly for them...

The girls dont look that great,and I'd pass on the Sportster too.
laugh.gif

For long-term storage of camping gear,Christmas krap,etc...look to the attic,if there is one.

I have a small attic above mine,camp gear,luggage,sports equipment thats outa season,etc.

RSD.

post_12_51423_8.jpg

Swamp, my brother and I just finished off the interior of my garage a couple months ago... We built a near wall length bench, with storage underneath, which is only deep as the wall side of the garage opening. We put the compressor up on a shelf in corner by the door so its out of the way, and overhead shelf over the rear service door (supports in excess of 500lbs). I agree maximizing your floor space, wall and overhead is obviously the key. I'll go snap some pics and load 'em up here if your interested, or anyone else?

And close shot of the styrofoam head helmet stands, work in porgress....

DSC_0010.JPG

The bench top is a sheet of White PVC coated panel, cut to fit and merely lays ontop of the bench for easy replacement. The bench can handle several hundred pounds itself and the over head cabinets are quite sturdy themselves, didn't weight test them other than about 250lbs of goods, but no issue with it. I also was able to stand on the compressor shelf, with the compressor on it, so it holds well beyond the weight it needs to. A hole is cut in the bottom side to provide e-z access to the tanks drain valve.

Hope this helps.

Very nice work, Charlie.

The bench reminds me of a bench I built for a friend of mine. it was 2 ft deep and 8 ft long, and the back of the bench was secured to the garage wall with a few hinges. The table only had the 2 front legs under it since the back was supported by the hinges, and the front legs were on hinges as well. The reason for the hinges was so that the entire bench could be folded up against the wall. The bench goes up and sits flush with the wall, and when the bench goes up, the legs tuck in against the bottom surface of the bench. the whole thing, when folded, only protruded 4 1/4" from the wall.

Back