2008 Hayabusa vs ZX-14 on the dyno

Question for GPW..

Why would the 08 ZX14 be dyno'd with 87 octane? I read another post from Ricky Gadson stating he did the same with his 08 as well. From what I've heard the newer models (14 and Busa) have higher compression and would require a minimum of 91 octane.
Here is a litte info from Brock on the 08 zx14 ..

Brock said> Here is a little info to hold you over:

More Low-End Torque and Power (Still doesn't hit as hard as the Busa off idle, but the smoothness is nice on the street.)

More Mid-Range Response (The bike is useless at the drag strip at stock height. It's like a big unicycle when the quicker opening flies let it breath!)

Higher Peak Horsepower--203 HP Claimed (with ram air, measured at the crankshaft). The conditions we saw were horrible, and I still managed times close to the "˜08 Busa which I rode in near perfect conditions at Atco.

Oh yes--my personal opinion: The new Metallic Midnight Sapphire Blue is one of the sweetest colors I have EVER seen on a production motorcycle. I also believe that the 2008 ZX-14 MIGHT be stronger on the dyno after bolt-on mods than the 2008 Busa? I will know as soon as our testing is complete. One thing is for sure"¦if you like fast bikes; you can choose your favorite model without being worried that your smart-ass buddy will be lipping you! When it comes down to it, both you and your buddy had better be on your game because playing catch-up after a mistake is NO LONGER an option.

He just called me tonight and after removing the secondary butterflys and some more mapping he got the ZX-14 up to 166.XXX HP and 103 torque. So the 14 is moving up but sounds like it still needs the full exhaust to get it equal to the busa we tested.

I dont have a dyno graph to post, sorry

Sorry for my bad englsih im from Greece...so in the end completely stock bikes the busa is 10hp faster right??

The ram air makes a giant diffrence. We ran ours 2 blower fans on the ram air, and got 6 HP gain..
This is also one of the reasons why some of these guys are thinking the zx14 is pig fat , because the bike is mapped to be in motion. The introduction of the extra air in the ram air changes the A/F. A bike sitting on a dyno is not the way a factory planned to tune it. If you would log a zx14 in motion , you would see a difference.

I thought that was the reason most injected bikes using ram air had air pressure sensors.... to adjust the A/F correctly for ram air or lack of it.

Professor

2 some extent you are right , that whats they are for .... but you have a window and is what all the 1,2 and 3 bar map is all about. Without getting into alot of technical F/I mumbo jumbo , a fuel injection has to have a fuel and timing curve mapped in , a air pressure sensor or manifold absolute pressure sensor can only adjust for so much , a small window if you may. I was just saying that if that zx14 was logged in motion , id bet the A/F wouldnt have shown so fat in the upper rpm range. I wasnt saying that was the total problem at all , the poster even said there was a grounding problem.

But I guarantee you no matter where you search...magazines, forums, net, euro specs/mags/tests ect....anywhere, you won't find a brand new healthy 06-7, let alone 08 14 putting out 159 hp. I've read everything around on both these bikes and those numbers just aint working.
http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html
laugh.gif

160 close enough?

Great post, and interesting reading for someone who's not that interested in top numbers, but likes to learn. Hope that rotts4u sticks around and tells us about some of his record-breaking runs.

Why would you mock and call bs on a guy who posts his honest experiences?  And here I thought this was the "nicer" site.  
wtf.gif
werd.gif
[/quote]
Hey, Don't get too discouraged. Every site/forum I've ever been a member of always had a member that felt they had to throw some negativity into the mix.
It's who they are and what they do.
They don't have the courtesy to know when to
shutup.gif
!
ohthedrama.gif

It seems to make them feel better...being the annoying pest.
poke.gif
Probably just boredom. Ignore 'em!!
Aloha
cool.gif

Those are all tough questions. Better engine? Faster bike etc. All I can say as of now is that on the dyno the busa seems to have the new 2008 covered. However on the road with the ZX-14 getting its lungs full of air it may well even out the air fuel ratio that we saw and make the REAL power a lot closer.

I saw one post where someone did rollons with the 08s and they reported the Busa being faster no matter which rider was on it. They swapped back and forth I guess. Then I just heard another report of a similar test and the 14 very slightly won over the busa in long rollons. Again they too swapped riders etc.

I think the bottom line is that both ENGINES are very good so your choice will likely be made by some other criterion like brand loyalty, handling, styling, comfort, color, best deal etc etc.

I think its just too close to call or to matter on the engine anyway.

Don

I just read Cycle World magazine and they did a 08 busa vs the 14 and their dyno showed the busa at 173 hp/ vs the ZX-14 at 163 (actually they just said it was down an astonishning 10 on the busa, so I did the math)

Motorcyclist reported the 08 ZX-14 at 167.2hp but for some reason I cant find the motorcyclist data on the busa at the moment though I think it was about 172ish.

So it looks as if despite all the complaining about the early dyno numbers we reported on the busa vs 14 they seem to be holding up pretty well against the magazine test reports.

Don

I own and ride a busa because its a HAYABUSA!!
My decision to purchase was never based on some HP and torque number.
It's a Hayabusa... thats the one I like... I think we are splitting hairs...

The ZX and the Zuk are both top notch superbikes.........I like both of them....if I had more $$ there would be one of each in the garage......

No matter what you do to go faster ..... someone will always come along a little faster....

Just got my new Sport Rider magazine, and they did a head to head comparison of the two. They also rated the 08 Busa at 10 hp above the 08 14 on the same dyno, on the same day/conditions.

Back