2008 Hayabusa vs ZX-14 on the dyno

rotts4u

Registered
The waiting is over. Today I was present at the local dyno shop where both bikes made it in for a completely unbiased shootout on the dyno. Both bike had nearly identical mileage. 294 on one vs 285 on the ZX-14. Both had been heat cycled several times and had oil changes with 10W-40 oil in both. They also both had 100% pump, 93 octane gas and the rear tire pressure was checked and were within 2 psi. Also both had adjusted chains and they were properly lubed. In other words we did everything possible to ensure the test was as fair as possible.

I own the 2008 Busa and the dyno operator/owner of Dyno Masters in Chattanooga Tn. Mark Hromi owned the ZX-14. Our intentions were to test both bikes stock and run them 3-5 pulls each and then pull them off the dyno and install a Power Commander and map each one at 100% on the DJ250I machine using the Tuning link software and then run them both again for HP/Torque.

The Busa power commander (2007 GSXR1000 PC actually) plugged in just fine and all was well but for some reason the 2006 ZX-14 Power Commander caused the ZX-14 not to run at all. So we were unable to map the ZX-14 . And as you see the air fuel curve on it is really rich and no doubt a lot of power is being lost. You can see exactly at the point the air fuel goes rich the power starts to lose its upward slope and it noses over.

So the first graph is the BEST pull from the 14 and the Busa. And the second run is the before and after on the busa after mapping it with the stock exhaust etc.

I know all the Kawi guys are going to cry foul but personally I dont know what else we could have done to make this fair. Same day, same dyno, back to back runs on a great day with pump gas etc. The dyno is a VERY well maintained machine and the numbers on the busa seem to be very close to the others I have seen reported from Dynojet etc when everybody uses SAE reporting not STD. Also both bikes were bought locally off the dealer floor. These were not sent to me from Kawasaki or Suzuki, these are RETAIL bikes.

Discuss !!

View attachment 1223547

View attachment 1223548

View attachment 1223549
View attachment 1223550
View attachment 1223551
View attachment 1223552
View attachment 1223553

thanks for taking the time to post this
beerchug.gif

I right clicked and saved to my pictures and zoomed in. Their in the 170s range horsepower and 100s for torque.

So what you're saying is that the Busa was PC'd and the ZX-14 was not? Also, whats up with the Stock '08 busa only doing a 9.98sec 1/4 mile according to a recent issue of MotorCyclist, Cycle World, or Sport Rider(i know its one of those because those are the ones I subscribe to). In one of those magazines last year when the ZX14 came out, it ran a 9.79sec 1/4 mile. Got a busa on order right now, hope I don't regret the choice.

Also not to discredit the dyno runs or antyhing, but I stopped putting faith in those when Import Tuner a few years ago did a study on Dyno's and other HP/Torque measuring devices. They took the same car and got it dyno'd at like 10 different places, on 4 or 5 differnt systems. All Hp/tq numbers came out different. Some up to 20hp difference across the bored all on the same car! So now I only put stock in 1/4mile times. Makes most sense to me anyways.

The following is a link to prove this theory and this one says 10hp different than this dyno.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=83678

You decide I guess.

Both bikes were tested 100% stock if you read the post completely it explains the procedure. I am not sure why the graphs come out so poorly here as on the other boards I posted them they look great and are also a lot larger.

The stock busa pulled 170hp and 100 torque while the 14 did 159.xxx hp and 102 torque. Then we mapped the busa with a pc3 and it went up to 172 and 102 torque. Sorry for the poor res on the pics. If someone tells me how I will fix them. Or go over to suzukihayabusa.org and check it out

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=123123.0

pretty sad when they say a new Stock '07 R1 puts 160.1hp on the dyno. Doesn't really make much sense since I know and have seen ZX14's blow them and out of the water at any speed.

numbers from a dyno look and sound good and thats about it... i dont get caught up in them. Thanks for posting the info for the dyno buffs!

As much as I love the BUSA, I have to say something is NOT right with the ZX14 tested. That is the lowest I have ever seen for one stock let alone a '08 model which was suppose to get tweaks from Kawi...
rock.gif

Both bikes were tested 100% stock if you read the post completely it explains the procedure. I am not sure why the graphs come out so poorly here as on the other boards I posted them they look great and are also a lot larger.

The stock busa pulled 170hp and 100 torque while the 14 did 159.xxx hp and 102 torque. Then we mapped the busa with a pc3 and it went up to 172 and 102 torque. Sorry for the poor res on the pics. If someone tells me how I will fix them. Or go over to suzukihayabusa.org and check it out

We're all proud of our busa's, and want them to be the best thing since sliced bread. But for the majority of folks here, ridiculous statements like these are going to do nothing but make you look like an idiot. If you want to hype up our choice of rides, you don't need to post bs like this. The bikes speak for themselves. Anybody who's done any reading...or has access to a pc and a search engine, can find out average numbers for both bikes easily. They don't need bs like this posted. Its a fact the 06-07 14's run from 168-175 rwhp. Motorcyclist just tested an 08 busa and got 172.2 rwhp@10,100rpm, and 97.8 lb-ft of torque@7600rpm, and ran a 10.14 1/4 mile@142.54mph. They also tested an 07 busa at the same time and got 155.9rwhp@9700rpm and 95.5 lb-ft of torque@8000rpm (which are pretty average numbers for a first gen busa). It did the 1/4 in 10.28@137.90mph. Maybe you had a first gen busa on the dyno and just thought it was an 08 14?
wowold.gif
sadnews.gif
ices_rofl.gif

The 08's are gonna be close no matter how much you want them not to be....and this kinda crap isn't going to change that abit. Nice try on the bullshit-o-meter tho...but a small hint, next time make the numbers a little closer and you might reel more fish in
winkold.gif
laugh.gif

We're all proud of our busa's, and want them to be the best thing since sliced bread. But for the majority of folks here, ridiculous statements like these are going to do nothing but make you look like an idiot. If you want to hype up our choice of rides, you don't need to post bs like this. The bikes speak for themselves. Anybody who's done any reading...or has access to a pc and a search engine, can find out average numbers for both bikes easily. They don't need bs like this posted. Its a fact the 06-07 14's run from 168-175 rwhp. Motorcyclist just tested an 08 busa and got 172.2 rwhp@10,100rpm, and 97.8 lb-ft of torque@7600rpm, and ran a 10.14 1/4 They also tested an 07 busa at the same time and got 155.9rwhp@9700rpm and 95.5 lb-ft of torque@8000rpm (which are pretty average numbers for a first gen busa). It did the 1/4 in <a href="mailto:10.28@137.90mph.">10.28@137.90mph. Maybe you had a first gen busa on the dyno and just thought it was an 08 14?
wowold.gif
sadnews.gif
ices_rofl.gif

The 08's are gonna be close no matter how much you want them not to be....and this kinda crap isn't going to change that abit. Nice try on the bullshit-o-meter tho...but a small hint, next time make the numbers a little closer and you might reel more fish in
winkold.gif
laugh.gif
Why would you mock and call bs on a guy who posts his honest experiences? And here I thought this was the "nicer" site.
wtf.gif

We're all proud of our busa's, and want them to be the best thing since sliced bread. But for the majority of folks here, ridiculous statements like these are going to do nothing but make you look like an idiot. If you want to hype up our choice of rides, you don't need to post bs like this. The bikes speak for themselves. Anybody who's done any reading...or has access to a pc and a search engine, can find out average numbers for both bikes easily. They don't need bs like this posted. Its a fact the 06-07 14's run from 168-175 rwhp. Motorcyclist just tested an 08 busa and got 172.2 rwhp@10,100rpm, and 97.8 lb-ft of torque@7600rpm, and ran a 10.14 1/4 They also tested an 07 busa at the same time and got 155.9rwhp@9700rpm and 95.5 lb-ft of torque@8000rpm (which are pretty average numbers for a first gen busa). It did the 1/4 in <a href="mailto:10.28@137.90mph.">10.28@137.90mph. Maybe you had a first gen busa on the dyno and just thought it was an 08 14?  
wowold.gif

sadnews.gif

ices_rofl.gif

winkold.gif

laugh.gif
Why would you mock and call bs on a guy who posts his honest experiences?  And here I thought this was the "nicer" site.  
wtf.gif
werd.gif

spank.gif

Also not to discredit the dyno runs or antyhing, but I stopped putting faith in those when Import Tuner a few years ago did a study on Dyno's and other HP/Torque measuring devices. They took the same car and got it dyno'd at like 10 different places, on 4 or 5 differnt systems. All Hp/tq numbers came out different. Some up to 20hp difference across the bored all on the same car!
Dynos should be used for side by side comparisons or for before and after tests.

In other words, on those dynos if 2 vehicles were placed on them back to back, I'm almost positive the dynos will all have the same car making more power than the other. The numbers may not match from dyno to dyno, but the results (which vehicle has more HP) more than likely will.

Also, if you were to run your stock bike on each of those dynos, slap a full exhaust on it, and then run it again on those same dynos ... I'm sure each dyno will show an improvement. Again, each reading might be different, but each will show an improvement with the exhaust installed.

What you don't want to do is dyno your bike with one dyno, have your buddy dyno his on another, and then you 2 compare the results. THAT would be a waste of time.

So what you're saying is that the Busa was PC'd and the ZX-14 was not? Also, whats up with the Stock '08 busa only doing a 9.98sec 1/4 mile according to a recent issue of MotorCyclist, Cycle World, or Sport Rider(i know its one of those because those are the ones I subscribe to). In one of those magazines last year when the ZX14 came out, it ran a 9.79sec 1/4 mile. Got a busa on order right now, hope I don't regret the choice.

Also not to discredit the dyno runs or antyhing, but I stopped putting faith in those when Import Tuner a few years ago did a study on Dyno's and other HP/Torque measuring devices. They took the same car and got it dyno'd at like 10 different places, on 4 or 5 differnt systems. All Hp/tq numbers came out different. Some up to 20hp difference across the bored all on the same car! So now I only put stock in 1/4mile times. Makes most sense to me anyways.

The following is a link to prove this theory and this one says 10hp different than this dyno.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=83678

You decide I guess.
As for putting your trust in 1/4 mile times, they dont really tell much either.  You have rider weight, weather, fuel, track conditions and all that other data that varies from track to track and run from run.  Just cause somebody runs a 9.1 does not mean that the average joe that jumps on one will too!

Back when Brock had Richard on his 08 at the track some joe ran a better time than they could. So what does that tell you about Mag reviews and such.

wowold.gif

sadnews.gif

ices_rofl.gif

winkold.gif

laugh.gif
Why would you mock and call bs on a guy who posts his honest experiences?  And here I thought this was the "nicer" site.  
wtf.gif
Honest experiences my ass lol. The only way a brand new 14...especially an 08, is going to put out 159hp on the same dyno that an 08 busa puts out 170 is if the 14's sick....period. And everybody knows it. His comparison is an insult to the intelligence of everybody here, except maybe the few youngsters who still need to hear bs to make them feel better about their ride. Hey I own a busa myself..since 04..and I love it. But I'm mature enough to not need bs to make me feel good about it
winkold.gif
I think if someones gotta play with numbers to make them feel better about their bike, maybe they're not really a rider....but...dare I say..a poser? This is THE best site for busa riders period...but even here we're gonna call bs when we see it
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

Back